A Young Collector's WWII US Army Display

Jake the Collector

Jake the Collector

Over a year ago I posted the beginnings of my WWII USMC display, and now I've expanded my collecting focus to encompass WWII US Army militaria. It's only a mannequin right now, but I hope to steadily build it as I have with my USMC collection. The mannequin portrays a US infantryman in Sicily/Italy, 1943. Everything is 100% original. The jacket is a 1st pattern HBT jacket complete with the 13-star buttons and a laundry number stenciled under the collar. The cartridge belt is dated 1943; all the rest of the field gear is dated 1942 or 1941. Like I said, it's not much, but I have big plans for its expansion including original WWII shipping crates to display various field gear upon, more mannequins portraying different eras and theaters of the war, and an original Army cot for a barracks display. Now I just need the money.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

post-159182-0-60453900-1479132348_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

You are off to a great start.Love that jacket.I'm impressed with your attention to detail.Please keep posting as you add items.

This brings back memories of my own collecting progress in the wartime days of the last century. You're doing very well. Your attention to detail is to be admired. As previously said, looking forward to more advances in the future. Jack

Looks good. Coming from another young collector, I understand money can be an issue but just get one small part at a time and it will be more complete then before. You have done will so far you have the backbone parts already that make the display. Hope you get what you need and please update us. I posted my 3 combat uniform below. My first one I did was the middle USMC one and then the army one on the left. Both were built in the same way, little by little.post-162289-0-95392800-1479778705.png

Jake the Collector

Looks good. Coming from another young collector, I understand money can be an issue but just get one small part at a time and it will be more complete then before. You have done will so far you have the backbone parts already that make the display. Hope you get what you need and please update us. I posted my 3 combat uniform below. My first one I did was the middle USMC one and then the army one on the left. Both were built in the same way, little by little.attachicon.gifIMG_1214.PNG

Thank you. You collection is impressive; I really like the USMC helmet covers. If you haven't already you should check out my USMC collection: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/253071-a-young-collectors-wwii-usmc-display/

It seems are collecting styles are quite similar.

I never saw that, personally i like the usmc more and you have a great collectionas well. I like the 3d look when you put all the components together though. Looks like you just need the helmet!

Jake the Collector

I never saw that, personally i like the usmc more and you have a great collectionas well. I like the 3d look when you put all the components together though. Looks like you just need the helmet!

Thank you. And yes, the collection could use a nice helmet.

Off to a great start! Well done!

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Jake the Collector

I found this M41 jacket for a good price on eBay so I had to jump on it. It's in pretty good condition other than the frayed cuffs, but I like them as it gives it a "combat worn" look. There is a laundry number inked in both slit pockets as well as near the tag on the inside, and I'm guessing it belonged to someone pretty small (it's a size 36).

Thus, the mannequin has transitioned from a Mediterranean portrayal to that of a soldier in France in 1944; I plan to get another mannequin to resume the Mediterranean display with the HBT jacket (based on my research, though, it might turn into a North Africa display rather than Sicily/Italy, for it seems to me that more 1st pattern HBTs were used in Operation Torch than Operations Husky or Avalanche).

post-159182-0-17948300-1481043409_thumb.jpg

post-159182-0-77502400-1481043457_thumb.jpg

post-159182-0-52516100-1481043464_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Jake the Collector

I added this small detail to my collection: an original "Pocket Guide to France" as issued to US soldiers before D-Day. It's basically a 75-page overview of what to expect in France, including some basic French phrases and information regarding the people of France. It's a really interesting piece of history.

post-159182-0-81607600-1482424601_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Watch out, there's no turning back now. The bug has bitten you. I started that way about 15 years ago. With time, money will come as will experience and you'll keep going. You have a great start. As a young(er) collector as militaria collectors go, at 36, I find the hobby enjoyable, rewarding and humbling to preserve history and share with others. Militaria collectors are some of the best in the bunch.

My only advise is to pick a theme or genre and build on it. Avoid the trap of buying everything you like as you'll end up with a huge accumulation. It looks cool, but eventually you'll decide you want to specialize in some areas and will be in the mode of parting with the accumulation to focus on on the main collection.

We need more youngsters in this hobby.

Ron

Jake the Collector

Watch out, there's no turning back now. The bug has bitten you. I started that way about 15 years ago. With time, money will come as will experience and you'll keep going. You have a great start. As a young(er) collector as militaria collectors go, at 36, I find the hobby enjoyable, rewarding and humbling to preserve history and share with others. Militaria collectors are some of the best in the bunch.

My only advise is to pick a theme or genre and build on it. Avoid the trap of buying everything you like as you'll end up with a huge accumulation. It looks cool, but eventually you'll decide you want to specialize in some areas and will be in the mode of parting with the accumulation to focus on on the main collection.

We need more youngsters in this hobby.

Ron

Thank you for the advice. So far I think I've been pretty disciplined with my focus--WWII USMC and US Army field gear and field uniforms only. It is indeed a bug, though, a bug that can often be hard to resist.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Jake