WELCOME HOME - VIETNAM POW GROUP USAF PILOT - HANOI HILTON

KASTAUFFER

He retired from the USAF in 1987 and passed away just last year in 2015. he received a Distinguished Service Medal when he retired.

m.JPG

This thread is dedicated to the POWs of the Vietnam War, both those that returned and the ones that did not. There were 766 servicemen reported as POWs during the war. 591 were released at the end of the war.

There are 1719 servicemen still MIA.

I also want to thank Dan Swanson for his help in saving this group from destruction.

Kurt

Raidercollector

What a group Kurt. Wow, I just saw the Viet Nam war in HD on the history channel, and they show him coming off a air plane at the end of the war with other POW's that where released by North Viet Nam. He was the highest ranking POW.

Nick

Amazing grouping of a true hero! The scrapbook and photos are really poignant and makes you appreciate some of what he must have gone through for 6 and a half years. Thanks for posting the whole grouping Kurt. Really glad it's found a safe and appreciative home.

Excellent grouping and glad to hear that it was saved! Do you have the Airforce Cross, i dont see it in with the other medals ?

The DSM was his retirement award and it wasn't with the other material. I'm not sure where it is. I'm assuming that's the medal you are asking about? He did not receive an Air Force Cross.

Kurt

The DSM was his retirement award and it wasn't with the other material. I'm not sure where it is. I'm assuming that's the medal you are asking about? He did not receive an Air Force Cross.

Kurt

Yes, typo on my end hahaah Interesting that in such a complete grouping that one medal would be missing but stranger things have happened of course is the award document for the DSM in with the documents ?

Yes, typo on my end hahaah Interesting that in such a complete grouping that one medal would be missing but stranger things have happened of course is the award document for the DSM in with the documents ?

I don't have the document either. They are still probably together somewhere,

Kurt

• 5 months later...

I was contacted by a member of the family who found this thread. After some discussion, I decided to sell it back to them at my cost. I don't make these decisions lightly because i don't prescribe to the mantra " all groups like this must have been lost or stolen". They especially wanted the scrapbook back. In this case I felt it was the correct thing to do.

I have seen too many groups like this sent back to families end up later on eBay. I am certain that this group will stay with the family.

Kurt

Good on you Kurt!

You can't go wrong honoring the man and then having one of the family realize what a hero in the midst they had. The medals are replaceable, but the paperwork is specific to him and the scrapbook is one of a kind.

Karma will treat you well...

Randy