106th Infantry Regiment DI Question

mikie

Hi,

This is a DI identical to the ones on my Dad's long-gone uniform. He served in the 106th Infantry Regiment from 1940 to 1946. When I look up insignia for the 106th, I get pictures of a very different DI, one with a lion between 2 crenallated walls. A couple of pictures do show this as 106th, but I can find no information on why the other design seems to be identified as being for the 106th. Does anyone have any info on this design? Is it a pre-war design that was replaced at some point? Or is it for some different organization? Any information would be appreciated.Since I'm asking, any information on the badge itself would be good to know. I thought today would be a good day to ask. Thanks in advance.

Mikie

post-2687-0-11841200-1478897387_thumb.jpg

post-2687-0-37534500-1478897401_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bearmon. Those links pretty answer my questions. All I got from a few hours searching last night was a headache. Thanks to you both for looking into this. I had no idea how complicated insignia history could be.

Mikie

A confusing one to be sure, it's all about lineages, which are somewhat complicated, as it involves a slew of units from the Civil War starting with the 10th and 23rd New York, to the early 60s, even if you like, up to the more modern era.

As to it being for the 10th Infantry Brigade. this won't be for that,as there was no 10th Infantry Brigade in the NYNG in those days. There was the 53rd Infantry Brigade, the 54th Infantry Brigade, both in the old 27th Division, and the separate 93rd Infantry Brigade., this is a real new unit this 10th Brigade, and could they be more confusing by adopting this older insignia! :lol:

post-2687-0-11841200-1478897387.jpg
This one here is the original DI for the 10th New York Infantry, James Sawicki gives a 1928 date of adoption. The top one in the TIOH is in error, believe this was adopted for the 106th Infantry way after WWII ended in the late 50s when the 186th Field Artillery Battalion was redesignated, Sawicki gives a 1973 date this one, but that might be an amendment.

Hi,

From the ASMIC Catalog (IRs, Part 3, P55), the DUI at the start of the thread was for the 10th Infantry, New York NG, prior to it's redesignation as 106th IR 11 Dec 1940. Redesignated as AAA units 27 Sept 1946 and as of the late 80s was the 210th Armor.

Regards

Mike

Thanks everyone. Dad was in the 106th from enlistment in the summer of 1940 until he was discharged in late 1945 or early 1946. So that does jibe with the info linked above. I sure hope not every insignia history is so convoluted as this one.

Mikie

• 2 years later...

The original 106th infantry reg. was a NYC unit that was reflagged as the 186th field artillery on 1940. The 10th infantry reg. of upstate NY was reflagged as the 106th inf. reg. since that number became available and a 2nd reincarnation of the 106th was created. This was often done to various units during WW2. After the war, the 186th went back to the 106th designation and the 106th of upstate became the 210th armor.

All very interesting. Thanks. Dad's uniform jacket, tucked away since his discharge late 45 or early 46 had DIs like the one I posted. So it seems he never changed it when the 10th became the 106th.

Mikie

That DUI was listed as the 106th infantry from 1940 to 1950 so yes, it would make sense that he would wear it during that time period.

I have a WWII officer's 4 pocket blouse with a 27th Infantry Division SSI on the shoulder, numbered 106th Infantry brass on the collar and these DIs on the shoulder straps. They are screwback on the blouse. I've never had any doubts about the uniform being an original either. I'll try to remember to dig it out and photo it sometime.

Allan

Thanks. That's very kind of you. I have no idea what Happy I Dad's uniform. I have not seen it in 35 years. But if I remember correctly, his were on the collar.

Your dad’s picture is probably in the 27th Division pictorial from 1940-1941. It has individual ID’s of everyone and you can see the DI’s being worn. If you send your father’s name I can look him up pretty quick.

• 7 months later...

Found this interesting item, a late 70s (it's dated 1978) Perma Press Fatique shirt of this unit, with pocket patch wth scroll with motto as per the updated unit crest. Shirt must of been worn in this period when the1st Battalion 210th Armor, with the 210 hand stitched on the apex of the triangle, was a separate unit in the NYNG, the wearing of the 1st Army patch tells us that, sometimes separate NG unit wear the patch of their State HQ, sometimes not. Shirt is up on Ebay HERE if one is interested, where it described as a 131st Infantry Shirt :D :lol:

This unit, the 1st Battalion 210th Armor was inactivated sometime in 1993, in Albany, at the New Scotland Avenue Armory as seen HERE as a unit of the 1st Squadron 101st Cavalry and thus wouldn't wear this 10th Infantry patch no more, but wear, if one was worn, the 101 Cav's one HERE but in subdued, can't find a subdued version to post.

post-34986-0-95677100-1582514119_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-61754200-1582514275.jpgpost-34986-0-61885700-1582514284.jpg