Woodwork-find A-2 Flight Jacket from ICDATC!

jordan.vanicek

jordan.vanicek

I hit the motherload with this one. I pulled this out of the woodwork from a college student who bought it from a garage sale for $10. I've always wanted one of these, but don't know too much about them. I did some research on the unit and found out that they flew from British India, over the Himalayas, to resupply the Chinese fighting the Japanese. They took heavy casualties.

If anyone can let me know what each patch means on the inside and out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jordan

post-9261-0-20550400-1478874287.jpg

post-9261-0-92589000-1478874287.jpg

post-9261-0-54546200-1478874288.jpg

post-9261-0-18066100-1478874289.jpg

post-9261-0-79614500-1478874289.jpg

post-9261-0-42272500-1478874290.jpg

post-9261-0-57854600-1478874291.jpg

Heck of a find!!! Great looking A-2. These were troop and cargo groups that flew in the CBI. Also some really nice blood chits as well. Used to help a downed pilots to communicate with hopefully friendly forces to help aid him in his escape.

JD

Great jacket.

Some of the best A2s are from the CBI theatre.

Many are not painted up like the ETO cousins but the patch work of multi leather and bullion are works of art.

Thanks for posting

The patches all look real my only question is why the ATC on the left breast shows so much wear and the Indo China ATC and the two Chits on the back look brand new.The jacket shows loss of color on the shoulders arms and body but nothing on the three pieces I mentioned.It looks like the vet may have sewn the ICDATC and the two chits on after he got back just an observation not a slap at the jacket.Scotty

Also no name tag......??????? I've had a few A-2s............like to hold this one in my hands.

The patches all look real my only question is why the ATC on the left breast shows so much wear and the Indo China ATC and the two Chits on the back look brand new.The jacket shows loss of color on the shoulders arms and body but nothing on the three pieces I mentioned.It looks like the vet may have sewn the ICDATC and the two chits on after he got back just an observation not a slap at the jacket.Scotty

Over the last 40 years I have owned and sold 125-150 A-2 jackets.The best way to tell is to examine them in hand as is every collectible.Picture give you a hint in hand gives you the story.There are enough questions on this one I would not say for sure until I had it in my paws.Scotty

Anything is possible.

I cant say I have seen or handled 125-150 jackets but seen a few where the vet put on the back flag as a end of tour or going home item.Wasnt on the whole war and dont show the wear the other patches did.

Please explain what that is suppose to mean its not the same jacket.I have seen many A2s that have 4 chits we are talking about the outside of the jacket and the difference of wear on the jacket.Scotty

I hit the motherload with this one. I pulled this out of the woodwork from a college student who bought it from a garage sale for $10. I've always wanted one of these, but don't know too much about them. I did some research on the unit and found out that they flew from British India, over the Himalayas, to resupply the Chinese fighting the Japanese. They took heavy casualties.

If anyone can let me know what each patch means on the inside and out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jordan

Looks like the OP was only asking for the meaning of the chits and patches & not the authenticity of the jacket. Jeffro

I think the questions were answered in post 2 and 4 on the meaning of the patches and chits.I do not think once someone puts images on the Forum that everyone should keep their moths shut if they have a question on the item posted.The jacket is fantastic and as I stated everything looks real.There is about 1600 to 2000 dollars of insignia on the piece with out the basic jacket.This is a Forum of questions and opinions and I had a question.I would buy the jacket in a heart beat but the question still remains.Scotty