WWII Records Chest, what do the markings mean?

TheGrayGhost

Snagged this beauty last week. It's 42 dated, 100% original and a real survivor.

Not sure what all of the marking mean, hope you guys can help shed some light.

post-11017-0-85234500-1478821088_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-87898600-1478821180_thumb.jpg

7/24 is probably a unit designation. Your side view looks like it might be G/7/24, or C/7/24.

The 47S actually looks like a stenciled 478. It might be an inventory number or cargo manifest line item number.

That was my though on the unit as well, but I can't seem to find anything that fits.

How about the bars?

Forgot the pic the paper on the drawer front:

post-11017-0-58917500-1478842974_thumb.jpg

In this case, I think it means the 7th box of 24 boxes in all. When traveling from one location to another or trying to figure out which document you are looking for, a quick look at a reference sheet will help you zero in on the right box or determine which box is missing. Kim

That makes sense as well. It could be that the 478 is the unit designation. The inside tag suggests a battalion or regimental headquarters, if not a brigade.

The two white stripes appear to be POM markings (Preparation of Overseas Movement), and member Ben Major has a nice listing of those on his site. https://www.med-dept.com/pom/about.php

However, these markings normally have a number by them, and I'm not seeing anything close. The numbers '7724' on the side of the box seem reminiscent (and there even seems to be a 'G' out of line, but with the numbers), but I'm not sure they are connected.

RC

Hmm, some interesting points here. Never thought of 7/24 being 7 of 24, but it makes sense. I love a little mystery like this, decoding the clues.

Just for some added detail, the size and weight labeling, double bars, and 7/24 on the back were clearly done at the same time as the paint color, age and style match perfectly. I am not sure when the 47S (I don't believe it is 478 or 428) was done, but I believe it was at the same time or earlier than the other markings based on style and how it has aged. The G or C 7/24 seem to be the final addition.

Here is a detail shot of the 47S marking (also note the $6 price tag I missed:

post-11017-0-73801600-1478889929_thumb.jpg

Hello Grayghost, Of course everything I have said about your box is merely conjecture on my part as well as a hunch based on the way we used to pack and move stuff in the 70's in the pre personal computer age when I was with the 16th Infantry Regiment. Here is a box in my possession that I picked up locally at a gun show about 10 years ago. I had always supposed it to be part of a number of boxes that the headquarters used to move records, documents and other important stuff when ever the unit moved out to a new location. This particular box is marked "28" so I always supposed that their was a list once upon a time that told the unit what was contained in box "28" as well as the other boxes. Based on the somewhat crudeness of manufacture, I figure this box started its life as some sort of ammo container with the handles and hinged lid added later. I suspect it dates somewhere between 1919 and pre-WW2. All of this is a guess on my part of course. I like the box so it provides storage for a bunch of my canteens at the moment! Kim

post-60-0-91717200-1478907860_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-15254700-1478907885_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-13006700-1478907902_thumb.jpg