'84 Coat, Cold Weather, Field, Camouflage pattern - mistake? commercial one?

pawtwo

I found one of these unissued woodland camo CW Field Jackets last year and one this year. What's strange they have partially wrong NSN number. 00-782 is a part of OG107 jacket NSN. I also saw Large Regular one with similar error and one issued with patches sewn on.

Does in 80's there were woodland camo field jackets available as commercially produced items? Or maybe it's just an error caused by the fact that at the same time there were both OG107 and woodland camo jakcets made by Golden Mfg and someone made mistake? As you can see someone tried to fix error by pen. On another example wrong part of NSN number is blacked out more but by problably the same person (the same writing style).

Contract number is ok.

I have commercially made OG107 by Golden in early 90s. That jacket has some minor changes in design. It had commercially made liner that was thinner and buttons in slightly different places so genuine liners won't fit. Also that commercially made jacket has different lining (polyester/cotton) and some changes in label including wrong contract number and "made in usa".

post-162935-0-60046800-1478820290_thumb.jpg

Label of commercially made jacket by Golden. Wrong Contract number DBA100-93-..... Despite some changes in label, wrong position of buttons, thinner liner, and poly/cotton lining whole jacket is about the same quality like issue ones.

post-162935-0-45278000-1478820439_thumb.jpg

Your new field jacket is an issued piece. Looks like they printed label wrong or sewed wrong label in that jacket , incorrect printed 00-782 marked through and correct 01-099 ink marked in. That is how I read the label and marking.

Also yes Woodland field jackets were commercially made as well.

Well probably Golden Mfg wouldn't use correct contract number as military contracts was their main source of money and they wouldn't need to have problems just to sell some jackets to civilians.

These commercially made jackets by Golden as shown on bottom photo are exremally rare where I live. Comparing to ALPHA Ind ones these are made completely the same way as military ones. The same sitching, details ect. Last years ALPHA started to make jackets in China that doesn't look like military one.

There is recent research by, I think redleggi, where he has found issue labels in more recent jackets, where the contract number pre-dates the invention of the cammo pattern used.

I'd guess that the original contract was for OG M65's. And then the DOD modifed the contract asking for woodland cloth to be used instead.

Well because it says "Camouflage pattern" on label I bet that it's just an employee fault with NSN. They probably were making labels themselves or ordering them somewhere. If they were making OG's and woodlands somebody must have make an mistake. I also sometimes make little mistakes...

Anyway these are good quality. I lost one as I was attacked on monday evening by 4 youth chooligans equiped with steel pipes and pepper gas. It was so soaked with pepper gas that I was unable to wash or air it. It withstood fight with no tears or rips. I was lucky to run faster than my attackers and didn't get much injuries at all. Till that day I thought that I live in peacefull neighbourhood.

Because I regreted that jacket so much, I was lucky to find another one at the same shop I bought one last year. I remember there were two of them and a guy still had it. At the moment there aren't any other example of woodland camo field jacket with metal slide fastener in Poland. Nobody has them in stock. Never ones are still quite easy to find.

It taught me not to wear older/less common pieces of my collection on a regular basis just to test how it works...