Great Mexican Border banner or tapestry, 17th, USFA, Battery F, 1920

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

This felt on felt construction was found in an antique shop around the lake placid ny area. It was buried in a big sewing basket. Probably has seen the light of day for years, the man said it was his great grandmothers who was a seamstress. The flag is like silk, the artillery guidon looks like its stenciled. Colors are very vibrant

post-11207-0-74038400-1478748818_thumb.jpg

Greetings Bill,

These border service pillow shams may be found with differing unit's, branch of service, or patriotic motifs sewn or applied and were popular souvenirs for showcasing a individual's service or for send home to loved one. The one below is for the 2nd Cavalry (& quite faded as compared to your example), but I have more often seen infantry ones too.

Cheers,

Lance

post-31352-0-11526500-1478780797_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I really didn't think it was a pillow sham. I don't see an opening for for the pillow ?, But then again yours looks just like mine ,( construction wise).

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Agreed, banner or tapestry sounds nicer to the militaria collector's ears, but it is what it is. You simply, unlace the ribbon on the perimeter, pop in your pillow, and re-lace the ribbon... viola!

Regards,

Lance

Agree with Lance.

I have seen dozens over the years and various desisgn. I do have one from Camp Dodge and the 88 division that is very similar to yours these were not really made on a home level so to speak they were pretty much available as a purchase item that they sold you could send home to a loved one or sweetheart.

• 1 year later...

Greetings all,

I came across this image today and thought it would go well in this thread. The image is dated 6/30/1919 and is captioned "363rd REGIMENTAL POST EXCHANGE, Camp Lewis, American Lake, Washington." Note in the second/lower (enlarged) image, the selection of similarly constructed souvenir pillow cases, which are being offered for sale to the troops.

Cheers,

Lance

post-31352-0-08957500-1517316201_thumb.jpg

post-31352-0-00352300-1517316212.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I love it, mass production. To bad it's not in color. Great picture thanks for showing

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk