Helmet Shell Dating Chart

Blake_E

Hey all a couple of weeks ago someone posted a link/picture of a rough chart that was used to date helmet shells by their heatstamps, can someone repost it, or direct me to the thread? I've been searching for a while and still cant find it, and i forgot to save the thing! crying.gif Cheers in advance ;)

Hey all a couple of weeks ago someone posted a link/picture of a rough chart that was used to date helmet shells by their heatstamps, can someone repost it, or direct me to the thread? I've been searching for a while and still cant find it, and i forgot to save the thing! crying.gif Cheers in advance ;)

Was it this chart?

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/dating_m1.htm

Remember, these were heat codes not date codes. There has been quite a lot of debate as to how accurate those heat codes are in dating a helmet. It may give you a general idea but, it is by NO means accurate. Pieter Oosterman even states that it's only a generalization in his book, "M-1 Helmet of the WW2 US GI". Basically every fixed loop helmet was manufactured between May of 1941 and the end of 1943 when the swivel loop went into production. So, you have a 1 1/2 year period of fixed loop production of the M-1. Really, how much closer of a date are you looking for?

Hey appreciate the replies guys

Nah gunbarrel wasnt that one, it was an actual Jpeg image, someone had a thread going on a helmet they had found/were going to buy, and someone else posted the picture up saying 'have a look here and you'll get a rough date on when it was made' it was a graph with heatstamps on the left side, dates at the bottom and a big gradient going diagonally down the middle, you would follow your heatstamp across to find a date. As you are saying Bugme, it is only a very rough guide, but the chart had years, and fell into groups of either early to late month, or late to early next month. I used it to roughly date two of my shells, just to put cards next to them on display, but forgot to save it, just wanting to roughly date my 3rd one, but it doesnt have original bales, so the heatstamp is the only way to get a rough guide.

Whether you believe in the chart or not....the book is well worth the price....you must pick up a copy for yourselves then you will have the chart and an awesome book!!!!......mike

Whether you believe in the chart or not....the book is well worth the price....you must pick up a copy for yourselves then you will have the chart and an awesome book!!!!......mike

Now that I agree with! thumbsup.gif