Yellow MKII

Tentitans112887

Tentitans112887

Hey guys, found this for a good deal-I think- and am waiting on it to arrive. Do you guys think it is painted yellow later on? A trainer? What about the fuse, is it an early fuse (my research says yes)? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

post-159555-0-78418100-1478456895.jpg

post-159555-0-45193500-1478456937.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Honestly, I think it is a relatively recent re-paint. The color is not the problem but the smooth thickness of the paint in the groves is what makes me formulate my opinion. If you look at any period painted grenade the carrier, linseed oil, in the groves has been absorbed by the porous cast iron after 70 years, leaving the thinner pigments behind. Basically, the paint in the groves has a pronounced dried out appearance. This example has a paint that still has a "glossy and wet look".

Tentitans112887

Honestly, I think it is a relatively recent re-paint. The color is not the problem but the smooth thickness of the paint in the groves is what makes me formulate my opinion. If you look at any period painted grenade the carrier, linseed oil, in the groves has been absorbed by the porous cast iron after 70 years, leaving the thinner pigments behind. Basically, the paint in the groves has a pronounced dried out appearance. This example has a paint that still has a "glossy and wet look".

I was leaning towards newer as well. It's an earlier body due to the slender bottom, correct? Any input in the fuse?

Persian Gulf Command

It is an earlier body (pre-WW2) and the fuse is also early components and that re-paint stain. The fuse may be of most interest if it is genuine. You should try to get some better pictures of it.

Tentitans112887

It is an earlier body (pre-WW2) and the fuse is also early components and that re-paint stain. The fuse may be of most interest if it is genuine. You should try to get some better pictures of it.

Once I get it, I will post more pictures.

The paint may be older than you think.appears to have some wear with age showing on bare metal.

The flash may be giving off a shine.

Take a picture in natural light.

It's been my experience that people who re-paint grenade bodies usually use the most expeditious method possible. Few have the materials to pre-treat the metal to achieve good paint adhesion.

Original US Army painted grenades have a very hard paint that you cannot crease with a finger nail and you can't peel it off. If either of these operations can be done easily, I can almost guarantee that it is a re-paint.