Storing metal insignia and badges

oakleaf777

I have a number of metal insigina and badges in my collection, and Im looking for a good way to put them away for storage. So far, what Ive come up with is to put each of them in a 3X3 plastic baggie with a ziplokck type seal, which I bought at Hobby Lobby. Is this a good way to store meatal badges and insignia? Any advice or input is appreciated.

I actually use many different ways to store items, I put my patches in Riker mounts, extra patches or duplicates (traders) go in the storage bags your refering too, larger and then I put them in a shoe box for storage standing up in a filing system to easly flip thuough them to locate one. I store most D.I. in the plastic see through boxes with the dividers, separating them by Infantry, Engineers, etc. tagging them to identifying what they are with the little white tags with string also available at hobby lobby. Riker mounts I also use for collar insignia with the dividers one for enlisted and one for officers. I have found this to be helpful instead of just throwing them in a box and forgetting where it is. Although I do this when first getting items until I sort it all out...There are many ways to do this and its what works for you. I hope this helps some...Good luck!

If you are just interested in storage and not display we use http://www.gaylord.com/. We use their record storage cartons, fill them with trays (holds about 5) and put dividers in each tray. You can pad each cell as necessary. This way you can open the box and pull out the trays and examine the contents without having to handle the items and risk damaging the contents. We use bags with stiffeners for things like patches.

Would you recommend punching holes in the plastic bags to combat moisture build-up? Or should I just to leave them as is? Thanks for your advice.

Patchcollector

My Wing collection has been growing and I had most of them scattered about so I decided it was time to get them a bit more organized.I went to Walmart and in the fishing equipment area found some plastic boxes that have adjustable dividers for a very reasonable price.(IIRC I paid around 5 bucks for mine.)There were different sized boxes and some even had built in corrosion protection.I keep the Wings loose and unwrapped as the dividers do a pretty good job at keeping them from moving around too much.

Further down the road I plan on getting something nice to display some of them but for now it's a really great inexpensive storage solution.

• 3 weeks later...

I like that fishing box solution, a lot.

Another possibility that comes to mind might be to check Harbor Freight tool stores - they have all kinds of boxes too, good prices usually.

Riker mounts are wonderful, but I'd reserve those for permanent display storage or, as a lot of guys here do, for showing stuff on sale at shows.

Poking holes in plastic bags, seems to me, is like killing a fly with a sledge hammer unless a storage closet/room/area is either under water or has such a high humidity that rocks grow mold just sitting there. Plus which (having made this mistake myself long ago) small metal stuff in a lot of little sacks gets to be a pain in the tail, pretty quickly.

I would be careful with those fishing tackle boxes.. they can break down some types of plastics and metals.

I have found good boxes in the "hobby/sewing" area of Wal-Mart.

Also the scrapbooking etc areas of Hobby Lobby.

-Brian

Patchcollector

The box I picked up,while being in the fishing/sporting goods section,is not a tackle box.Actually it is the same type of box I've seen in Craft stores.The dividers are movable,and some of the boxes come with an anti tarnish element built in.I'm confident it will be OK for storage of my Wings.

Here is a photo of a box that is very similar to the one I bought:

post-13386-0-97937900-1480030124.jpg

it's the anti-rust they put into the plastic.

the "craft" ones don't have it.

it's so when you keep it in your boat all your fishing hooks don't rust.

just be careful.. it may begin to "melt" depending on what metal contacts it.

-Brian

I would be careful with those fishing tackle boxes.. they can break down some types of plastics and metals.

I have found good boxes in the "hobby/sewing" area of Wal-Mart.

Also the scrapbooking etc areas of Hobby Lobby.

-Brian

I've used the ones he refers to for about 8 years with no issues

I don't think the clear ones have any anti-rust agents