129th Heavy Tactical Aircraft Destruction Squadron

Siamundo

Here is another odd ball patch I am trying to correctly ID and hope someone might have some knowledge about. I have never heard of this type of squadron before, 'Heavy Tactical Aircraft Destruction Squadron' so I am guessing this might be an unofficial designation. I may appear foolish in my reasoning, but I am wondering if this might be a US Navy transitional patch for when VAH-10 was designated VAQ-129. Heavy Attack Squadron 10 was re-designated Electronic Attack Attack Squadron in 1970 and this patch appears to be Japanese made and might date from this era. Both the official VAH-10 and VAQ-129 patches incorporate a canted sword pointing in the same direction as does this patch, so that makes we wonder if this is related. The Navy normally uses an cardinal numbering system (i.e. 129) for their squadrons and this designation is an ordinal number (129th), but if it is unofficial then the rules could have been a little more flexible.

post-2744-0-69245600-1478359543_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking this is a morale type patch, made up as a joke after they wrecked a few aircraft. There are lots of similar ones done after events happened that warrant some kind of commemoration, even the negative ones!

Randy

Patchcollector

I'm thinking this is a morale type patch

I agree.It has all the earmarks;the wrecked plane,play on the unit name,and even the sword is beat up! ^_^

Thank you Randy and Patchcollector. I agree completely with both of you that this is an unofficial designation and novelty patch. I am hoping to identify and confirm what the unit is that would have actually had this patch. I can't find many other squadrons or units with a 129th or 129 designation other than a few USAF squadrons/wings so that is why I was speculating it might be from VAQ 129.

Patchcollector

There appears to be a tail code designation on the plane,maybe AP?You could start there and perhaps find out more info regarding the unit.

That plane on the patch does look like an wrecked EA-3 so VAQ-129 would be a very solid guess here. They changed designations in 1970 from VAH-10 and went to EA-6 Prowlers. I wonder if this commemorated the aircraft swap and they scrapped their old EA-3s?

Randy

VAQ-129 Detachment 5 was still flying the EKA-3B's off the USS Hancock in the Tonkin Gulf, their tail code at the time was 'NP'. The Whale was a tough bird to get aboard the Essex class carriers. Great patch,

Mark

Thank you Randy, TBMflyer and PC. I think you have cinched it. Here is a photo I found on line of an AE-3 with tail code NP from VAH-10, so this patch may very well commemorate the transition from aircraft model to another.

post-2744-0-24630800-1478396132_thumb.jpg