German Police helmet sent home by GI in 448th AAA Bn.

Chris

This is a great attributed piece. On one side of the liner is the name/adderess of the woman he sent it to. On the other is his address. Sent home by "Pfc Herb Crouse - (his service number) - Btry "C" 448 AAA - AWBn. APO-339 c/o PM NY, NY." He also sent home a few pieces of German insignia which I also acquired.

post-5831-0-60284200-1478275733.jpg

post-5831-0-30088100-1478275756.jpg

post-5831-0-50137700-1478275778.jpg

post-5831-0-64979700-1478275811.jpg

Maybe a ridiculous question but would this helmet have been sent home just like that or placed inside of a box?

It may have just had a label posted to the exterior!!

I've seen a few that way.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

It may actually be a fireman's helmet and not police...The way to tell, is to look for leather ears on the back half of the liner, where a flap to protect the wearer's neck would attach to.....Bodes

I don't think many would have stolen a piece of v-mail at that time. Nowadays, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack a thread but my grandfather sent a small wooden box home from the ETO with some stuff in it. It arrived at his parents house re-sealed and empty. He was PO'ed about the daggers and bayonets.

I don't think many would have stolen a piece of v-mail at that time. Nowadays, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack a thread but my grandfather sent a small wooden box home from the ETO with some stuff in it. It arrived at his parents house re-sealed and empty. He was PO'ed about the daggers and bayonets.

Which begs the question, when were the items taken?......I know it doesn't really make a big difference, but cannot help but believe lots of that happened overseas....Bodes