Uriscraft - Uris Sales Corp

triplecanopy

There is not much information that I have seen on this manufacturer that used the hallmark URISCRAFT and also USC for URIS Sales Corp. They were located in New York City and made sweetheart pins and some military insignia during WWII. If anyone has more history on this maker, please feel free to add here. The examples shown are the full size basic parachute badge and the miniature. Note the unusual reverse design and different placement of the hallmark. One might speculate that they were hand stamped. The hallmark reads: URISCRAFT STERLING. The two miniatures shown are also made by Uriscraft as one is clearly stamped URISCRAFT STERLING. The other is marked USC for URIS SALES CORP. I will post the front side in the next frame.

post-48217-0-07915200-1478111053_thumb.jpg

post-48217-0-48581600-1478111743_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the front side of the URISCRAFT hallmarked parachute badges. They have a similar look to the early Balfour LBG parachute wings.

post-48217-0-15197800-1478111853_thumb.jpg

Though I have never seen an actual Uris trademark stamped on one of these, I thought this was interesting when I did see this carded EGA, as it is one of the more commonly seen WW1 enlisted patterns that has never been positively identified to a specific manufacturer.

Not to say they didn't get matched up down the road but, honestly, why would someone?

post-50776-0-34648600-1478310388_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Its the only one Ive ever seen and your post is the the only thing I can really find.

Thank you as I was lost trying to figure it out.

I'm thinking that my wing here is a rare wing in that Ive never seen one. Plenty of Balfour H$H etc...

post-181333-0-53802500-1547586260_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-44721600-1547586269.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was not able to locate any information about the Uris Sales Corporation. Christie Romero, author of Warman’s Jewelry, Third Edition (Krause Publications, 2002; 272 pages, $29.95 ), checked her copy of the 1943 Jewelers’ Circular-Keystone’s Trade-Marks of the Jewelry and Kindred Trades and did not find a listing for the company.

I strongly suspect that Uris Sales Corporation was a distributor and not a manufacturer, even though it says “Mfrs.” on their label. While WWII sweetheart jewelry certainly was sold in department stores, a large quantity also was sold via the PX. Again, I strongly suspect Uris Sales Corporation had a contract to supply military stores.

I found this digging on the internet.