The Utility Boat as a Weapon of War

superchief

The first 41' utility boat was built in-house at Coast Guard yard Baltimore. Designed to replace the 1950's era 40' steel hull boat, the first rolled off the line in 1973. Lightweight (aluminium hull, fiberglass cabin) powered by 2 Cummins diesels, the boat was capable of 25+ knots. It was armed with two M-60MG and had plans for installing a bow 50cal. It was also planned in case of a Vietnam style conflict to be armored and easily forward deployed. By 2004 the 41's were reaching the end of their service life and replaced by the newer fast response boats.

post-162620-0-84540100-1478097159_thumb.jpg

Amazing work on the model. Just beautiful! Hard to tell it from the real one in photo. My Dad used to take us fishing out of Point Judith RI back in the mid-70's so I probably have seen the real ones there!

Mikie

It's always a pleasure to regard your high-end models! Well done! Could you please add some more informations about the kit: size/scale, material, producer etc. Thanks a lot!

Lars

Lars

Thanks for the kind comments. To answer your questions...the model is 31" long and has a 10" beam, the scale is 3/4" equals a foot. It is a Dumas kit (from 1983) and is constructed of wood using the "plank-on-frame" method. I covered the decks with plastic sheets and the cabin as well. The M-60 is scratch built as is the interior. The entire model took about 6 months start to finish.

post-162620-0-32415100-1478182158_thumb.jpg

Hey Chief,

Great work on the Utility boat. Funny that as soon as I saw the pic of the real boat in the water, even though it's not a PT boat, the theme music for 'McHale's Navy' came into my head.

Thank you for sharing this fine piece of work.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
MastersMate

The 40' Utility boat of the early 1950s was developed to replace the earlier wooden picket boat designs of the 1930s. That 40' boat was also designed with the military coastal warfare mission in mine. Prior to the 50' SWIFT boat design used by the USN, the French forces in Viet Nam made use of the USCG designed 40 mark 1 utility boat..

post-162267-0-75426700-1561167439.jpg

My model of our station's 40 footer, the 40494, circa 1975. The prototype was built in 1951 and by 1975 it was on the "home stretch" in terms of service life (the 40494 boat went to the scrap yard in 1977). Most of the forty footers were designed to carry a 30cal machine gun on the bow and the cabin interior was set up to carry M-16's and 45cal pistols in a secure cabinet. We also carried a line throwing gun, a Springfield bolt action 30cal if I remember correctly. The crews kept this boat in great shape despite it's age. Made of steel and powered by twin Detroit diesels, it could move along at 23 knots. Designed for harbor patrol and estuary work the CG would often send them 'way off shore in a storm to rescue people when a motor lifeboat would have been more prudent. We lost a few 40' utility boats that way....

post-162620-0-56005700-1561820353_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...