Merchant Marine and / or Maritime Service Items?

Reforger

Lately I got interested in Merchant Marine items after reading about the role of the USMM in WWII. While trying to find out more about the insignia they used, I noticed that there are various patches, badges, etc. being offered, sometimes as Merchant Marine, sometimes as Maritime Service. For example, I found the USMS Officer Cap Badge being offered as USMS and sometimes as USMM. Or uniforms with patches that clearly say USMS on them offered as Merchant Marine. So, did both of them wear the same uniforms and insignia? Are there Ranks, Rates and Ratings for Merchant Mariners just like in the USMS? Unfortunately, there isn't that much information available on USMM uniforms, insignia, etc.. I'm sure there's an expert here that knows more.

Good morning,

I have an excellent reference on the USMS, but have encountered nothing on the USMM, so I'm not qualified to say. However, having said this, I did acquire an excellent grouping of an officer of the USMS--insignia, visor cap, pins, badges, photos, papers, and ribbons. What is interesting is that he served in both, and there is nothing other than USMS material. I'm working on the assumption, good or bad, that there was a crossover between the two Both wore Navy style uniforms. I will ask my Forum friend that is very familiar with the blue service for his input. Jack

Thanks for the links, but I already checked them. However, they don't give any information on ranks and uniforms of the USMM. I assume that both USMS and USMM must have used the same uniforms.

Garth Thompson

Thanks for the links, but I already checked them. However, they don't give any information on ranks and uniforms of the USMM. I assume that both USMS and USMM must have used the same uniforms.

The uniforms for the USMS and USMM are identical

DocCollector1441

So this is what I have deduced on my research of the USMM/USMS

The United States Maritime Service was a training organization charged with the training of merchant crews as well as testing for the different ships' officer positions. The United States Merchant Marine was the term given to all of the different shipping companies that worked under the War Shipping Administration.

When you decided to become a merchant seaman, you did so through training provided by the USMS. Following your training, you were placed on an inactive status with a rating (or commission) in the USMS while you served aboard a ship. While in an inactive status you could be advanced in the USMS. If you required further training or were to be qualified as a ship's officer, your status would be switched to active in the USMS while you conducted training. Many members wore their USMS uniforms even while on an inactive status (especially officers) with their current rating or rank as assigned to them by the USMS.

• 1 month later...
ShooterMcGavin

The USMS still exists today in the form of the Merchant Marine Academy and the six State Maritime Colleges. Our uniform buttons still have "USMS" stamped into them. The only difference is the specialty insignia has been reduced to anchors (deck officers) and propellors (engineering officers) and are found on shoulder boards or dress blue sleeves. Even those are RARELY seen, especially by engineers.

Many of the officers on the campuses will have "USMS" in their titles in official emails/correspondence.

I just read the book "Gallant Ship, Brave Men". It gives you a good idea of what it was like to be a Merchant Mariner in WWII and also some background information on the USMM. While it's an incredible story, it's too bad the author didn't go into more detail.