Sign in to follow this  
Alex Boban

Pre-WWI US Navy dress blue uniform

Hello,

I recently picked up this pre-WWI US Navy dress blue uniform. The flat hat has a "USS Nevada" tally, and the jumper has an interesting armband with the same tally.

​The bottom edge of the jumper is pinked, which I believe dates it from pre-1913. The tally hat and trousers lining style is also coherent with US Navy uniforms from the Span-Am / early 1900s.

It would indicate that this uniform was most probably worn by a 3rd class P.O. Coxswain who served on USS Nevada BM-8 between 1901 and 1909. USS Nevada BM-8 was renamed USS Tonopah in March 1909 to allow the famous USS Nevada BB-36 to be named as such.

The jumper is identified to P. or F? McGrath. Would someone be able to help provide more details about this service man? Maybe through USS Nevada muster rolls if available?

Has anyone ever seen a similar armband? It looks tailor-made. It has one small pocket with round flap and button hole on each side. Nice decorative cross stitch running along the upper edge and pocket flap edges. The USS Nevada band is also sewn on it with a nice stitching pattern.

Thanks for your help.

post-157805-0-63083800-1477965442.jpg

post-157805-0-28500000-1477965446.jpg

Alex Boban - Owner of 44th Collectors Avenue, LLC
QMDepot@44thcollectorsavenue.com

USMF-SIGNATURE-BANNER-X1A.jpg

Nice looking uniform set. I wonder if his "armband" is a hid-a-way money belt made for his arm?

Just a thought. Thanks for posting it.

BKW

Interesting to see the shield-cut rating badge on a pre-wwi jumper.

Beautiful uniform.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif