Japanese "Good Luck" flag "Examined in the Field..."

Len S

I picked this up from an antique dealer friend. It's a nicely preserved Japanese yosegaki (Good Luck) flag presented to a soldier named Sakuno Fumio.It's a better quality flag than the ones you usually see since the meatball is sewn in place rather than being silkscreened. One corner bears the stamp "Examined in the Field Passed By Joint Intelligence 187". Unfortunately there was no info available on the GI who brought it back. Given the high proportion of Japanese soldiers KIA compared to POW it's unlikely soldier Fumio made it back to Nippon.

Len

post-14135-0-44272700-1477958890_thumb.jpg

I have a friend who has a similar flag with the same stamp. Don't exactly know what it is all about. You might want to look into a guide specifically for wartime Japanese flags.

The bring back documents would be stamped with a triangle stamp saying basically whatever item was being requested to bring home had no importance to them as far as intelligence. The round stamp would be placed on the flag often. It means they cleared it to bring home basically.

Triangle stamp on request document...

post-125364-0-64655200-1477962955_thumb.jpg

Nice flag. It's in great shape. I always like looking at the bring back docs because my Dad said he did that as part of his duties from Sept. to Dec. '45 while in Japan. I'm always hoping to see his signature on something.