Estate find 4th RCAT DET 263 ARTY.

WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches

I saw that but it has no unit history. I can't find anything. This patch was with it. This one is not on USAFpatches.com and I can't find any info on it either.

post-119983-0-99480100-1477936470.jpg

"Lucky Seven" is a patch replica of the Distinctive Unit Insignia for the Army's 7th Aviation Battalion.

The first patch is for a target drone detachment insignia. "RCAT" probably is for Remote Controlled Aerial Target. The 263rd Artillery had Air Defense Artillery battalions. See www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/2-263ada for a unit history.

WorldWarPatches

"Lucky Seven" is a patch replica of the Distinctive Unit Insignia for the Army's 7th Aviation Battalion.

The first patch is for a target drone detachment insignia. "RCAT" probably is for Remote Controlled Aerial Target. The 263rd Artillery had Air Defense Artillery battalions. See www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/2-263ada for a unit history.

Thanks, good reason for not being on the USAF web site.

• 5 years later...

I acquired one of these pocket patches--and still treasure it--in June of 1977 from a collector I met in Fort Benning when my Dad was stationed there.  I sent him a duplicate of the patch in my profile picture and he sent me the 4th RCAT Detachment Patch in return. Here is how he described it verbatim in a letter ( back when we still had typewriters and communicated with letters):

"This is an RCAT, the little drone aircraft used for arty or now for AA training. According to the people in the unit, it was the only one of of 4 Reserve Component (US Army Reserve or NGUS) that had a patch. To my knowledge, no RA ACAT unit had a patch.  In 1956 this patch was designed.  There were only 100 patches made, because the unit consisted of 9 EM 7 1 0. When men left the unit, they turned their patches in and they were reissued.  Sometimes the same patch had been worn by four or five troops.  In 1970, I met the NCOIC but he could only give me one...he took it off one of his uniforms for me, there were then no more new patches.  He died of cancer in 1973 just as the unit was getting new patches.  The second design patch is the same insignia, but the unit was redesignated from the 4th RCAT Det to RCAT Det 263 Arty.  So the new ones--instead of saying 4th RCAT across the top--say RCAT Det 263 Arty.  Lately I have been going by their armory and have been successful in buying several new ones.  By pure dumb luck an old NCO retired and turned in some worn out fatigues with 2 old patches on them.  I traded one for another Arty patch, and this is my last original 4th RCAT.  I never expect to see another, I promise you it is a super rare patch.  Because it was so small a unit, most people have never heard of it.  Because the TRADING POST has had so few patches lately I have sent some of my rare ones in, and this one, as well as the new design.  The unit continue to wear color pocket patches.  It is the only unit in the SC NG that has a pocket and there is some talk now of having them go subdued.  There have only been 150 total of the second design manufactured ( more turnover of personnel lately ).  If they go subdued, there is a chance I could get a bunch of used 2nd design. But unless by accident some other old NCO has some on old uniforms, the 4th ( 1st Design ) are gone...there are no more."

This collector, a First Sergeant Reservist, was a fantastic fellow and helped me with my collection when I began as a 14-15 year old...He sold his collection to former ASMIC President Richard Smith in 1978.  Hope this info sheds some light...