Books about the 1st infantry division during WW1

DirkvandenBol

DirkvandenBol

Pete,

I found the 1st Engineer Regimental history online. For those interested, here is the link to the site:

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15040coll5/id/1193/rec/7

Dirk

Dirk,

I think the histories of the 7th Field Artillery Regiment and the 1st Engineer Regiment (both were in the 1st Division) are also available on-line. Try a search through Hathitrust.org -- that will get you going in the right direction.

When you visit the Meuse-Argonne area next month, I hope you will consider taking some photographs of the 1st Division area, and perhaps posting them!

Pete

There are multiple version of the Division history available online, which one should I buy?

http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=History+of+the+First+Division+During+the+World+War&search=Find+book

Most of those are reprints (I didn't look through the whole list). I have an original; I assume the reprints are printed clearly. If you can hold out for an original, I'd try for that. If you don't care, the reprint will probably be just fine. It is a very good unit history and will give you a great overview of the division as a whole during the war.

Here's a photo of the 1st Division history, original edition, with the 86th Division history on the right.

Pete

post-5467-0-22330900-1478728216.jpg

Dirk,

I think the histories of the 7th Field Artillery Regiment and the 1st Engineer Regiment (both were in the 1st Division) are also available on-line. Try a search through Hathitrust.org -- that will get you going in the right direction.

When you visit the Meuse-Argonne area next month, I hope you will consider taking some photographs of the 1st Division area, and perhaps posting them!

Pete

Hello from Belgium

Here are some pictures of the 1st DIUS area during WW1

Please forgive the quality of these pics since thet were taken 30+ years ago and were recently digitalised from slices ( which was at the time the cheapest metod to take a lot of shots)

1-CANTIGNY Church & 1DIUS Monument

2vjptf7.jpg

2- Bois de MONTREBEAU south EXERMONT

5x3c4o.jpg

3- HILL 240 MONTREFAGNE ( LEFT) HILL 263 BOIS DE MONCY 1st Engineer ( right)

jfgmf5.jpg

4- LOST & FOUND in the BROIS DE MONTREFAGNE

2r4hqhx.jpg

5- Hill 240 left & Hill 263 at dawn

258mfr8.jpg

6- Road from EXERMONT to GESNES taken from the WWII french MAGINOT line Bridge

eg4awh.jpg

7- Another vieuw from the bridge

f3yzi9.jpg

8- BAR Magazine and Dog Tag

idzr01.jpg

DirkvandenBol

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I'm looking forward to visit the area in the weekend of 17 December.