Is this an 81st Recon Company DI?

Tonomachi

I saw this and checked the motto list that I have and it is listed as the 81st Recon Company. However when you check the Internet a different DI is shown so could this be an earlier 81st Recon Company DI? I have no photo of this back of this piece.

post-1389-0-26523200-1477845271.jpg

All most;

81st Cavalry RCN squadron

ASMIC # 81B1

and by the looks of the front a good one too.

Many thanks for the information.

There are three variations of this DI.

It was redes 81st Constab Sq in 1946.

Many thanks for the follow up information.

• 5 years later...

Is this a Korean War Unit Insignia?  My Father fought in the 81st Recon Bn Company D in the Korean War.  Trying to learn more about his unit.

This DI is actually for the Occupied Germany 81st Recon Bn, an element of the 1st AD until it was redesignated 81st Constab Sq in 1946. I have no further info on the unit's history. I googled the unit, and found some photo hits w/ info re: KW, but nothing definitive.

On 9/4/2022 at 4:07 PM, CEZII said:

Is this a Korean War Unit Insignia?  My Father fought in the 81st Recon Bn Company D in the Korean War.  Trying to learn more about his unit.

Well this is the Armor Order of Battle as of 1952 in combat in Korea, no 81st Reconnaissance Battalion is listed.

ARMOR:

Battalions:

64th Tk (Med) (3rd Inf. Div) – Pusan

72nd Hv Tk (2nd Inf. Div) – Chunchon

73rd Hv Tk (7th Inf. Div) – Chunchon

89th Tk (Med) (25th Inf. Div) – Chunchon

140th Tk (Med) (40th Inf. Div) – Sanyang-ni

245th Tk (Med) (45th Inf. Div) – Taegwang-ni

Companies:

2nd Recon (2nd Inf Div) – Chunchon

3rd Recon (3rd Inf. Div) – Wacho-ri

7th Recon (7th Inf. Div) – Chunchon

25th Recon (25th Inf. Div) – Yongdung-po

40th Recon (40th Inf. Div) – Sanyang-ni

45th Recon (45th Inf. Div) – Taegwang-ni

Platoons:

502nd Recon – Taegu

Thanks for the info.  Other than his DD214 which lists the 81st Recon Bn (W/3 Bz Svc Stars) I don't have any documentation/pics what Battalion or Company he was in during the Korean War. He served from 12/50 to 9/52. The patch on his jacket indicates he was from Ist Corp. 

14 hours ago, CEZII said:

Thanks for the info.  Other than his DD214 which lists the 81st Recon Bn (W/3 Bz Svc Stars) I don't have any documentation/pics what Battalion or Company he was in during the Korean War. He served from 12/50 to 9/52. The patch on his jacket indicates he was from Ist Corp. 

Betting he was in that unit when he was discharged, the unit was once again part of the 1st Armored Division at Fort Hood Texas, 1st Armored Division reactivate in March 1951served in Korea, rotates home, next duty at Hood, unit serving with at separation is usually if not in all cases the unit listed on discharge.