Last US Army Hueys to be retired

gwb123

Yeah those boys would wopwopwop over us while fishing the Colorado river here in Yuma!!!

Great airframe and they did their duty that's for sure!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Charlie Flick

And the Air Force still has about 60 UH-1N models. The AF has been trying to get rid of them for years and is now evaluating (again) the Huey's successor which is likely to be a variant of the Sikorsky Black Hawk.

Regards,

Charlie

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

i always liked them. they were the first chopper i ever had a ride in, loved it more than ANY roller coaster that i been on, the way they would 'bounce' around in the air was truly great, the black hawk was boring, it just rode the air like a bus, and the sh**hook made too much noise to enjoy.

• 7 years later...
Vahe Demirjian
On 10/30/2016 at 1:53 PM, Charlie Flick said:

And the Air Force still has about 60 UH-1N models. The AF has been trying to get rid of them for years and is now evaluating (again) the Huey's successor which is likely to be a variant of the Sikorsky Black Hawk.

Regards,

Charlie

The US Air Force in September 2018 selected a joint Boeing/Leonardo design for a derivative of the Leonardo (AgustaWestland) AW139 helicopter to replace its fleet of UH-1Ns used for ICBM silo security, assigning the out-of-sequence designation MH-139 to this design. The MH-139 has been christened Grey Wolf, and deliveries of the MH-139 to US Air Force began in December 2019.

Links:

https://www.flightglobal.com/networks/boeing-wins-uh-1n-replacement-contract-from-usaf/129632.article

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/12/19/the-air-forces-uh-1n-huey-replacement-helicopter-got-a-new-name-today/

https://www.montanarightnow.com/great-falls/malstrom-air-force-base-to-receive-7-new-mh-139-grey-wolf-helicopters/article_cd19678e-d0df-11ee-a77d-4b91c40a43e2.html

Salvage Sailor

USMC MAG-24 MCBH Kaneohe Bay

Super Hueys (& Cobras)

MAG24MCBHKaneoheBay.jpg.073aeb42ea656fb97f57221be4b2fd2d.jpg

1000w_q95.webp.e65a5e52914774eabada06b11688c186.webp

6139389_1200xx5909-3324-0-308.jpg.b80785d797302439cf7d8e25a185ccba.jpg

hardstripe

There is a museum in Peru Indiana dedicated to the Huey helicopter.

Welcome to American Huey 369 Org Website (polarengraving.com)

The Rooster

I was a frequent flyer as an infantry passenger

back in the 80's in the ILARNG.

Had well over 30 round trips in Illinois and mostly in Wisconsin

over McCoy. We did a lot of nape of the earth flying and as a passenger

sitting in the side seats with the doors open!~Long seats nylon over frames going down the sides. Sat on the edge with rucksack on and a seatbelt holding you in. Centrifigal did that too on the turns. Held you in kind of.

Man!!! it was always wild! Depending on which side your on, when they turn, your either looking straight down at the ground

or straight up into the sky. Many flights. Always scared before I got on but once in the air, well

whaddya gonna do? lol lol

They were big and powerful. Very powerful, you could feel it.

And very loud. You could hear them coming a ways off in the field.

I woulkd be in one flying looking around and I'd think, Im wearing their clothes, I got a weapon, Im eating their food

and I'm on Huey and to top it off, Im getting paid! And nobody was trying to kill us in Wisconsin so it was all good. We never had any crashes

either. No mishaps. The pilots were good! The aircraft were well maintained. Only flew in the dark once. They shut the doors.

It was like going down the highway in a van with big windows. At night. Im sure I'l never fly in one again but Im

thankful I got to do it.

Was great! Great Bird.

I had a a few round trips in a Chinook. Totally different.

A flying Greyhound bus is the chinook. Chinook will go high up.

Never flew really high up in the hueys.

Taking off in a Huey.. It shakes on the ground while its like idling and right before it lifts off,

The power comes on and the whole thing smooths out and stops shaking and you feel the power as it lifts and

then tilts and goes rushing forward as it climbs.

If your in the side seats. You turn your head and look to the cockpit and as its taking off and rushing forward all you see is the ground.

All I can say it was a trip . Each and every time.

Huey. What an aircraft! What a long history.

> Here's one on static display at JTFB Los Alamitos, CW5 John Harris and me paying our respects last year...

0-9.jpg.82c7ecf96f67083a2528b8cbbdd81058.jpg