AEF Service Coat, French Mfg. 4th Corps, Engineers (Personal Purchase)

Mitter2k1

Here is another tailor made uniform I picked up this summer from Bay State Militaria. This one was done by S. Mulligan in Grenoble, France for a H.L. Hiks and dated Mai, 1919. It features 2 overseas service stripes, Honorable Discharge chevron, and the 4th Corps patch on the left sleeve. On the right side it has the Master Engineer, Senior Grade chevron. Rounding out the uniform are great seal buttons with the back mark AM Co? Paris and US and Engineer Company D disks. I am not sure of what follows the name on the buttons as I do not want to accidentally rip one of them off getting a better look. Here are a few photos for everyone's enjoyment.

Thanks,

Mike

post-104697-0-74602400-1477765193.jpg

post-104697-0-76690700-1477765173.jpg

post-104697-0-34987100-1477765214.jpg

post-104697-0-86097100-1477765174.jpg

Hi Mike,

It looks like you're starting to corner the market on high-quality tailored AEF Engineer uniforms. :) This looks like it will be an interesting one to research. Thank you for posting it.

RC

Hi Mike,

It looks like you're starting to corner the market on high-quality tailored AEF Engineer uniforms. :)  This looks like it will be an interesting one to research. Thank you for posting it.

RC

I'm trying, but only by chance hahaha! I started with a few patched uniforms a while back and have gravitated to tailor made examples. Somehow while trying to focus on the 33rd Division, I've started to end up with more and more engineer related items. This is quite fine by me as there seems to be a fairly decent supply of Engineer items out there. I'm hoping at some point to find a British tailor made uniform to sort of round it out so to speak. Though I'm not even sure I've ever seen one or if they exist. Well, off to the Internet to confirm.

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,

Nothing wrong with going for the tailored ones. A nice thing about that kind of focus, is that you don't have to wonder if it is the same uniform they had overseas since it was made there! I have seen a few British tailored uniforms, quite a few guys passed through the UK on their way to France, the tough thing is just checking each and every one that comes up for sale.

RC

Really nice Engineer NCO rank  patch Mike, you're getting some great items, and you've developed a good eye...George

Yes it is and thank you. I think my good eye has been influenced by some great minds

I hope you're not including me in that group, can hardly remember what I had for breakfast anymore, the B & B will be open if you want to come over early for the November get together...George

Mike, a really nice uniform! Regarding the button back mark, I checked my copy of "american military button makers and dealers;their back marks & dates"

,it looks like the back mark reads: A.M. & Cie/16mm/Paris.

Kim

Kim,

Thank you very much for that info. Much better than trying to turn it over and break the threads.

Thanks again,

Mike