Sport Parachute Club patches - All Branches

ocsfollowme

I just saw this on eBay as I didn't know there were variations of this patch.

Nice!! JFK Center for Special Warfare. I love the 'SPOOK' in the background.

Post 18 has the correct id on the "Marne Eagles" Parachute Meet patch - it is for the 3d Infantry Division not the 1st Infantry Division, as incorrectly stated in post number ID 22. Thank you Patchrat for pointing it out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
triplecanopy

Here are a couple more Military Sport Parachute Club patches that I don't think have been shown as yet. The Fort Benning Parachute Club building caught fire and burned in 1975, so I don't think that many of these are still around. The Green Beret Parachute Club at Fort Bragg had a few different designs, but this is the only one I can find. Too bad the era of Military Supported Parachute Clubs is a thing of the past. I certainly enjoyed my time in the sky with several of them.

post-48217-0-09160800-1490981475_thumb.jpg

easterneagle87

Several years ago I found a stack of these, I wall try and di out the scans. These are awesome patches.

easterneagle87

FOUND THEM !! Here is the "military" associated one I had, thought there were more (getting old sucks! - but atleast I located them). There were several others associated with Universities (Texas A&M, ETSU, U. T. Independant and K State), but I won't post them as they are not military based. If you want pics of those just PM me and I'll forward.

FT. Riley

post-9131-0-84546900-1491150999_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Galveston Skydivers featured 502nd PIR because founding member Gus Anagnostis AKA "Doc" was a member of the 502nd during WW II.

• 11 months later...
On 10/29/2016 at 1:43 PM, sfcollector said:

Top: two variations of the 8th Infantry Division's Sport Parachute Club patches.

Bottom left: Fort Leavenworth, Kansas SPC patch.

Bottom right: I think (?) this is for the Ranger's Sport Parachute Club. Identification welcomed.

post-6138-0-60708300-1477766584.jpg

Thank you Rigger67 for the identification of the "Rangers Parachute Team" patch.

The below Sport Parachute Club patch, unidentified in the earlier post, has been identified as being for the 2d Armored Rifle Battalion ("ARB"), 2d Battalion, 48th Infantry, Sport Parachute Club. Dates to the early 1960's.

2d ARB.jpeg

easterneagle87
1 hour ago, rigger67 said:

Anybody have an ID on this Falling Falcons Sky Diver patch? Not even sure it's military.

Falling Falcons Skydiver Y.jpg

Could it possibly from the US AF Academy? Their mascot is the "Falcon".  

• 1 year later...
triplecanopy

The 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii had a very active Sport Parachute Club when I was there 1975 - 1978. We usually jumped out at Helamano Military Reservation which is now a housing area. The Division provided the lift aircraft, a UH-1H Huey, and we would normally get three fuel loads to support jump operations. We ran a very safe program and the dues were reasonable. Dues primarily went to equipment purchases for students and training aids. At the end of the jump day (Saturday) everyone enjoyed a few cold beers usually bought by those new students who had made their 1st jump. The 25th Inf Div also sponsored a Free Fall Demonstration Team that got to jump on special occasions and sometimes on several of the other islands to promote recruiting interest. The Club had members from all the services on island (Oahu) from Army, Navy EOD, USAF and USMC. Occasionally we got lift aircraft from both the Navy and the Marines. Great memories. Too bad this program is no more. This screened patch was usually sewn on our student rigs.

IMG_2791.JPG

triplecanopy

The US Army Mountain Ranger Camp (Now Camp Frank D. Merrill) in Dahlonega also had a Parachute Club and Demonstration Team back in the early 1970's.  I made my 1st Free Fall as a member there after packing my own MC1-1 Parachute. I don't recall ever seeing a patch, but we did have dark blue sweatshirts. (photos below). With such small drop zones in the North Georgia Mountains, it was preferable to jump a steerable parachute rather than the standard T-10.

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

I picked up this Vance Air Force Base "Para Aces" patch which I couldn't find anything about them on the Internet but probably a recreationally skydiving club for stationed military personnel.  I have also had these USMC skydiving patches which I couldn't find anything about on the Internet.  I picked up a named herringbone twill skydiving jumpsuit at an open air antique fair a couple of weekends ago for an early USN skydiving club which I found limited information about on the Internet.  

DSCF2630.JPG

DSCF2631.JPG

DSCN4306.JPG

DSCN4307.JPG

USMC Parachutist (2).JPG

USMC Parachutist (1).JPG

DSCF2632.JPG

DSCF2634.JPG

DSCF2635.JPG

rtd_sf_eng

Here is my contribution for this thread.  I joined the 46th Special Forces Sport Parachute in 1970 and the first picture is me making my first jump and the guy next to me was helping me out (note the club patch).  The next picture is my certificate after joining and the patches I later obtained for my jump suit.

Larry

Prep for sport paracute jump, 46th SFC Club.jpg

IMG_4297.JPG

triplecanopy

One of the less common Free Fall Parachuting awards that Military Jumpers could try to earn was the "All Military 10 Man" Relative Work badge. The requirements were to hold a formation with everyone linked up and stable for at least 5 seconds. In July 1978 on the island of Kauai, we built an 11 person (10 male + one female) all military formation and held it for 20 seconds. the Jump Aircraft was a Marine CH-46.  This was performed during a demonstration jump on the Garden Isle for a festival.

IMG_2806.JPG