VQ 1 helmet

tonycretan

northcoastaero

Nice helmet! Appears to be in the configuration of the HGU-47(v)4/P used in the EP-3 variants of the P-3 Orion. I have seen VQ-1<br />helmets from the 1980s in plain white tape with just a black Velcro VQ-1 style bat on the visor housing. The helmet is probably<br />from the late 1980s-mid 1990s because of the use of the taller visor lock knob and HGU-55/P black chin strap/pad and black hardware.<br />

Nice helmet! Appears to be in the configuration of the HGU-47(v)4/P used in the EP-3 variants of the P-3 Orion. I have seen VQ-1<br />helmets from the 1980s in plain white tape with just a black Velcro VQ-1 style bat on the visor housing. The helmet is probably<br />from the late 1980s-mid 1990s because of the use of the taller visor lock knob and HGU-55/P black chin strap/pad and black hardware.<br />

Thank you so much for all these information!!

Cheers,

Tony

Nice helmet, is there a name on this one?

The "SS0006" name plate could possibly be a "shop spare #6 helmet".

Chris

You might be right Chris, this doesn't look like a name or callsign!

Regards,

Tony

• 4 years later...
lancecriminal86

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but the central stripe pattern seems to have appeared quite a bit specifically in Pacific Missile Test Center aircraft on helmets. I've observed it now in photos of Tomcats, Phantoms, and possibly in a 2-seat A-7 Corsair II. 

It's possible it was either repurposed, or maybe VQ-1 supported testing, or perhaps even it's actually associated with VX-5 or something predating the VX-4 and VX-5 merge plus establishment of VX-30.

My helmet in another thread was a VTAS I used by a civilian trusted agent who sometimes rode back seat with VX-4 testing VTAS, weapons, and other sensors related to Electronic Warfare. Per him he had the VTAS taken off shortly before he traded it in for a custom fitted helmet in the mid-80s. Another member had an HGU-33 that also appeared to have the telltale helmet glue leftover by a helmet cover but again, there's a photo of a PMTC Tomcat where the pilot is looking straight on at the camera and the RIO both appear to have a red, orange, and yellow stripe pattern from the front of the visor widening as they go back. 

This appears to be a variation of that same pattern but instead of a taper they are straight red, orange, and yellow stripes.

This is apparently a US Navy photo pulled from the Pt Mugu archives:

66319469_2914733981886563_90873663740989

From PMTC's 224 bird:

133223719_2938332729744491_4024934296629

If you look closely you can see the rear of the RIOs helmet and the front of the pilot's.

A Phantom again with a similar pattern:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-4/images/dn-sc-84-04500.jpg

And an A-7 two seater:

133999895_230436328680726_90334903817174