Ike Jacket with Airborne Sleeve Insignia - HELP!

Calvin Hall

Hello All -

I recently had a chance to examine this nice Ike jacket. First, let me say that it did not have any manufacturer's tag that I could find, so I could not determine the date of manufacture.

This IKE features a zipper for the front closure. See attached photo showing the hardware.

All insignia is as I found it. IMO, the wings appear to me to be post WWII.

So, my question is...when was this Ike issued? WWII or postwar?

Any help identifying the patches would also be appreciated.

Sorry that I didn't take more photos at the time. I used my cell phone for these shots.

Much thanks in advance!

Calvin

post-2080-1222648214.jpg

The zipper appears to be the type seen in the post war occupation jackets I have seen.Was a pretty common modification in post war years.See a lot of this done in Germany.The patches are 2nd Corps and the Airborne one is 508th Airborne Regimental Combat Team

RON

The oval is also for the 508th and the wings should be mounted on them.The other pin is a USMC rank insignia and doesnt go with the uniform.Nice post war 50s era ike,

RON

right sleeve insignia...

Calvin,

The WWII era Ike's have a button at the end of the sleeve and buckle side tabs, post war jackets do not have the button, just a straight uniform sleeve...

post-4199-1222649053.jpg

Your Ike appears to be configured as a 1950's period jacket.

Hello All -

I recently had a chance to examine this nice Ike jacket. First, let me say that it did not have any manufacturer's tag that I could find, so I could not determine the date of manufacture.

This IKE features a zipper for the front closure. See attached photo showing the hardware.

All insignia is as I found it. IMO, the wings appear to me to be post WWII.

So, my question is...when was this Ike issued? WWII or postwar?

Any help identifying the patches would also be appreciated.

Sorry that I didn't take more photos at the time. I used my cell phone for these shots.

Much thanks in advance!

Calvin

Calvin,

The WWII era Ike's have a button at the end of the sleeve and buckle side tabs, post war jackets do not have the button, just a straight uniform sleeve...

Thanks for the info and education.

This particular Ike does not have the buttons at the end of the sleeves or the buckle sid tabs.

Captainofthe7th

You have an M1950 Ike Jacket - straight cuffs, non buttoning epualets, rayon liner, button side tabs, and snap pockets and "belt"

Hope that helps a little

Rob

This particular Ike does not have the buttons at the end of the sleeves or the buckle sid tabs.

If I remember correctly the 508th RCT wasnt activated until the early 50s.That would probably date your ike around 1953 or so.No buttons and tabs would be consistant to this period.Also the late ikes had a rayon type lining.

RON

If I remember correctly the 508th RCT wasnt activated until the early 50s.That would probably date your ike around 1953 or so.No buttons and tabs would be consistant to this period.Also the late ikes had a rayon type lining.

RON

You are right Ron, the 508th RCT was in the 50's

Robert

When I see this 508th RCT patch I always associate it with Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis in the movie JUMPING JACKS (1952) I was told some of the movie was filmed at Benning.

They do wear the 508th RCT and this type of Ike in the movie.