WWII Survival Equipment Book

dustin

• 2 weeks later...

Added some additional content to the article on Personal Aids Kits. Scroll down until you reach the date 4/2/20 denoting the updated content.

That was a cool addition Dustin. Photo of Marine aircrew member from VMB-443 is killer.

Here is another photo of VMF-222 pilot - Captain Archibald Wayne Melton with probably a E-17 kit (or E3j? hard to say in 100%).

Cheers,

Jerry

post-369-0-28800000-1585988124_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-32845100-1585988162.jpg

I think the following images are a VMTB squadron , but correct me if I'm wrong. Courtesy Adam Lewis , adamsplanes.com

post-56-0-64530800-1586016572_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-87642000-1586016588.jpg

Where are the USAAF images?

I'm tempted to put a reward, lol, they are just seemingly nonexistent.

Sometime ago a I requested a copy of an image from a forum member that had a USAAF fighter pilot wearing one, it was one from a photo album they had recently obtained. Now, for the life of me, I cannot find were I copied it to nor whom the member was.

Obviously, now, we have substantially proven the E-17 use by Navy and Marines. It has now graduated to...yeah, yeah, seen it!

I do find it mildly amazing that something so conspicuous and procured in fairly large quantities, can be so elusive.

post-56-0-33723500-1586016873_thumb.jpg

Last photo is with F4U in a background. It can be also a VMF-512 which Adam also well documented on his site. From another hand VMF-512 was not land based.

I did not remember these pics on his site... they are new to me! Thanks.

Jerry

• 3 months later...

Jerry, yeah it was a new article on that pararaft.

I added a new article today titled Narratives. 

An area for first hand accounts.

Thanks for it, I hope a lot of collector are appreciate your books. It is one of the best and complete publication during the past years in my opinion.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, a little bit of an emotional roller coaster but the second round he had company to pass the time. Yah! I'm rescued!....Wait! No I'm not!

That one was a little fun since at the the end of his report they only quickly summarized the next events. I had to do additional research to determine the plane and unit that attempted the rescue. They did mention the Sea Devil, so that made it easier. So that narrative, there were two additional points of view on the events. 

• 1 year later...

I'm pleased to announce the soon to be released Volume 3 of my series on World War Two survival equipment. This is the third installment of several more volumes yet to come. Projected for sale in June.

This volume takes an in depth look at the background, genealogy and lineages of multi-person sustenance kits (USAAF-US Navy), individual parachute emergency kits (USAAF-US Navy), first aid kits (Aviation types) and emergency rations. Each chapter is a comprehensive look at look at a multitude of variations and guaranteed new items never seen before or published.

It is packed full of thousands of images both vintage and artifacts comprising of about 300 pages. each chapter will highlight and discuss all types and related models and their revisions and variations. you'll be able to explore about 34 pages for USAAF multi-person sustenance kits with an additional 13 pages on U.S. Navy. You will be able to explore the multitude of individual parachute types having 44 pages for the US Army Air force and 69 pages for the US Navy. these will be followed up by 75 pages on their genealogy and history of aviation related first aid kits. The volume closes with 54 pages on emergency rations.

cover.jpg.85a31e37c34cb6cf7fdd341f3aca0134.jpg

pararaftanr2

Should be another classic! Can't wait. If anyone hasn't already done so, you should pick up Dustin's Volumes 1 and 2. The only resources you will ever need on the subject. You will never know how much time, effort and research has gone into this body of work, it is simply astounding.

It is indeed great news; wish I could show you inside, but we will have to wait. I'm really excited about this one and is my favorite of the series. However, some are chomping at the bit for Volume 4, which is done and at the publisher for processing. It has two very fun and large chapters on Small Arms, Knives & Machetes, followed by Compasses, Fishing Kits and Survival Literature. To also include and Addendum with additional artifacts not included in in the first three volumes.

Blue Leader

A new reference book for USAF and USN survival equipments. A Very good news ! thank you Dustin for these informations regarding the next volumes.

QuickBricks

I can confirm for anyone on the fence about Dustin's books on WW2 as being jammed full of amazing info and photos you will not find anywhere else of some common and some very

uncommon items (most EQ in his books I believe were photo'd by him for the book)

Also, I have seen some photos of the vol 3 book (with most text redacted) and I can confirm this looks just as good if not better than the previous 2 volumes!

Dustin,

I am not sure about your publishing process but have you considered a poster insert or something unique for your books? I bet a poster insert would be a purchasing factor for some buyers of your books. I am just not sure if that's too much work/money to do these days.

Cheers

On 4/22/2022 at 11:52 AM, QuickBricks said:

I am not sure about your publishing process but have you considered a poster insert or something unique for your books? I bet a poster insert would be a purchasing factor for some buyers of your books. I am just not sure if that's too much work/money to do these days.

Cheers

Way back at the beginning it had crossed my mind for a CD to contain additional content. With the poster or any other enhancement idea it would only increase overhead cost on printing, the jump in retail would be considerable. Books in general are a hard sell in this day and age anyway