WWII Survival Equipment Book

dustin

I am happy to announce the soon to be released two volume series on the developmental histories of emergency rescue equipment of the USAAF and Bureau of Aeronautics. This is a compilation of information gathered from over 200 hours at the National Archives and other assorted holdings. Volume one is set to be released early next year followed by volume two later next year if all goes well. Accumulatively the two volumes will comprise of around 800 pages.

Volume-One will have chapters on life rafts; multi-person and one man, life preservers, distress signals; sea markers, pyrotechnic smoke, pyrotechnic flares, signaling mirrors, flashlights, whistles, sails & paulins and transmitters, personal aids kits (E-3, E-17, Mark-1, E-6, E-7 etc.), protective clothing and survival training. Each chapter or section takes a comprehensive look at their developmental history accompanied by images of the actual artifact and vintage era photographs. All information included comes from government sources via correspondences, specifications, drawings, technical orders, technical notes, engineering department literature and other assorted documentation. All chapters and sections are guaranteed to have unpublished information and images, for example the section on pyrotechnic flares details the developmental histories of flare pistols and ammunition not readily known to the community.

Volume-Two will have more cross over to other collecting venues to include comprehensive chapters on first aid kits, small arms, knives & machetes, rations and escape & evasion. It will also include chapters on emergency kits; USAAF multi-person and individual and Navy multi-person and individual, fishing kits, navigation; charts and compasses, survival literature and survival accounts. Both volumes will include hundreds of pages of new information in all venues with thousands of images. The National Archives had produced an abundance of new and wonderful information for the collecting community and am happy to share in this book. In the chapters that have generated more interest with publications such as knives & machetes and escape & evasion it was my goal to provide new information and different perspectives.

It must be noted that I was diligent in fact checking attempting to gather all information as possible creating a checks and balances of redundancy and completely eliminating any speculation, here say and opinions. I lay out the facts as found with everything supported by documentation, if it could not be supported it was either left out or noted as "unknown".

More detailed information will be forth coming when the book will be available to purchase, this is just a preliminary heads up. Optimistically Volume-One will be ready and available for viewing at next years SOS. If anyone as any interest in any of the above subjects you will not be disappointed!

I've seen first hand much of Dustin's book, and I must say that it's going to be by far the best book on the subject. He left nothing to chance in his research. Covered all of the bases.

I've been privileged to get a few sneak peaks of Dustin's work in its early stages. I can tell you that this is truly ground-breaking stuff. The amount of never-before-published information and photographs is difficult to imagine. Previous publications on the subject have only scratched the surface and have contained large amounts of speculation. Here, with period documents and photos and surviving examples of the actual equipment, the real story is told. You will see things you have never seen before. If you have even a passing interest in this subject, these two volumes are a "must have". Think I'm exaggerating? You won't after you get your hands on these books! I can't wait!

Regards, Paul

Judging from the information Dustin has contributed to the Forum there is no doubt this will be a great book on an under researched subject. Can't wait to see it.

• 4 weeks later...

Justin, any idea as to the size (number of pages) of each book and the projected price of each. Please contact me when each volume becomes available. Jack

Thank you for the encouraging comments!

I have not heard back from the publisher as of yet but should know more specifics next month, no news is good news. Volume One was sent complete from my end so they are working away getting it formatted. I can guesstimate that each volume will be between 350-400 pages and if all is successful I have an outline for a third volume. I cannot say for the projected price at this time but would imagine the price would be in the range of other similar works by volume that include color and B&W images. As soon as I know more I will surely post that information.

• 4 weeks later...

Volume one is in the graphic design department of Elm Grove Publishing so keep an eye out at elmgrovepublishing.com for purchasing. The cover only lists some of the key chapters but it specifically includes

-Multi Person Life Rafts AAF & USN

-One-Man Life Rafts AAF-USN

-Life Preservers AAF & USN

-Signaling Mirrors

-Sea Markers

-Pyrotechnic Smoke Signals

-Pyrotechnic Flares

-Flashlights

-Whistles

-Transmitters

-Personal Aids Kits (E-3, E-17, Mark-I etc.)

-Protective Clothing

-Survival Training

Here is the cover for Volume One.

post-56-0-92759700-1481860662.jpg

I just noticed I forgot a chapter in volume one.......- Sail & Paulins. Its always interesting once you get down to the meat of it and explore all the variation and development that 11 pages could be devoted to a subject like this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to add this one to the library, Dustin. Your passion certainly needed to be put into print. Please let us know when you receive any additional updates from Elm Grove Publishing!

• 5 weeks later...

.Hello all, the latest update is that the book will not be available for purchase in time for SOS as originally planned. Delays can always be expected and in this case some occurred, pushing the availability towards spring probably March/April. However, promotional pamphlets will be available at SOS for a quick sneak peak, I'll post one here once I get them in hand. The good news is that when Volume One hits the stands, Volume Two will be close to completion. Hopefully, there isn't too long of a wait. But of course the publisher may have a desired waiting period between volumes, as well, to allow the circulation process to unfold.

• 3 months later...

Volume One is close but in a semi holding pattern pending additional revisions. Recently I've gained access to several new honey holes, principally images that will be added. About a hundred new images will be added to the volume with some additional information. What I've been able to obtain since the submission of the draft to the publisher is going to put the work, visual reference wise, on a whole new plain. It will be forth coming soon and promise you won't be disappointed. The good news to the slight delay is that volume two will most likely be ready to submit to the publisher upon the release of volume one, so hopefully that will quickly follow.

• 3 months later...

Hello Jim, its still in processing. I've added a bundle of revisions, more meat on the bone. This in turn has delayed the release but will be well well worth it.