2016 Urgent Fury Reunion 2/505

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

This past week my members of my old unit reunted at Fort Bragg to commemorate the invasion of Grenada that occurred on October 25, 1983. Many of us wanted to attend but simply couldn't. Those in attendance were hosted by Lt. Colonel Keith Nightengale, Dale Dye, CSM Gaweda and General James Lindsay, among others. The contemporary 2/505 hosted the old Grenada Raiders and they spent several days together. The 82nd Airborne Chorus performed at a banquet and the old para's took a tour of the base, facilties and museums.

For me the highlight of the event was when Sgt Benias Alias presented Col. Nightengale with a copy of the original sign that sat next to his HQ Building. Also when Col. Nightengale stood in front of the modern day 2/505 and educated them about the history of the 82nd airborne and the legacy that these current Troopers must continue. Col. Nightengale is/was a fantastic Battalion Commander and a Ranger Hall of Famer. He had the knack of motivating soldiers and getting them to accomplish anything. When I watched a video of his speech I was suddently flashed back in time as he opened up with "Can you hear me in the back?". A forgotten gesture that swished me back 34 years and kneeling on the ground could've been me rather than then the latest crop of troops.

Very emotional weekend and I'll download and post some pictures for you guys.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Colonel Nightengale and Greg Smith
Colonel Nightengale and Dale Dye
CSM Gaweda, who appears timeless and intimidating (Trust me on this one)
post-2990-0-43865900-1477499007.jpg

post-2990-0-40877600-1477499038.jpg

post-2990-0-15871700-1477499063.jpg

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

For you not familiar with CSM Gaweda, he's a who's who of senior NCO's in the Airborne Community.

post-2990-0-65605600-1477499467.jpg

Command Sergeant Major Tadeusz (Ted) Gaweda was born October 20, 1933 in Kamien, Poland. In 1943 he and his family were forced into a Nazi Labor Camp in Germany. In October 1949 he immigrated to the United States.

He entered the United States Army in April 1953 and underwent Basic Training at Fort Reiley, Kansas and the Airboren Course at Fort Benning, Georgia.

He served in the United States Army for over 35 years. CSM Gaweda became a senior noncommissioned officer (Sergant First Class) in January 1955, and served virtually his entire career in the airborne infantry units.

During his military service, he held a variety of increasingly responsible leadership positions such as Squad Leader, Assistant Platoon Sergeant, Platoon Sergeant, Operation Sergeant, First Sergeant, as well as Battalion, Group, Brigade, Combined Field Army and culminated his career as Command Sergeant Major of the XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg. His overseas assignments include two tours in Europe, four tours in Republic of South Korea, two tours in Republic of Vietnam, Thailand and no-notice deployments to Lebanon, Dominican Republic and Grenada.

CSM Gaweda graduated from numerous noncommissioned officers academies, the Army Language School (Vietnamese), US Army Special Warfare School, the 82nd Airborne Division Raider-Recondo Course, and is a graduate of Class 2, United States Army Sergeant Major Academy.

CSM Gaweda’s Military awards and decorations are as numerous as his campaign and service medals. He has earned twenty-one individual awards for valor and meritorious service, ranging from Distinguished Service Medal to Army Commendation Medal with V Device and three Oak Leaf Clusters. He is also the recipient of Order of Saint Maurice Award (Primicerius). His skill badges include the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, Expert Infantryman’s Badge, Master Parachute Badge and Air Assault Badge. He is also the recipient of six Foreign Parachuge Badges and Seven foreign Awards.

Since his retirement in September 1988, CSM has lived in Fayetteville, NC. CSM Gaweda was married to late Edith Hubner of Antoiniwald, Czechoslovakia and they have two sons, George and Gregory. He continues to support Fort Bragg and the Army by remaining active in civilian and military programs that support Soldiers, including visiting Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan every Christmas. He is serving as Honorary Sergeant Major of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the vice president for individual membership for the Braxton Bragg Chapter of the Association of the U.S. Army. In addition, he is serving as a Board Member of the Airborne & Special Operations Museum Foundation in Fayetteville and as the vice president of the Fort Bragg Wounded Warrior Program.

In September 1999, he published his autobiography, “I Love America”, by Durance Publishing Company. He has participated in every 82nd Airborne Division 4-mile run since 1986, to present.

• 6 months later...