Israeli War for Independence 1948 101st sq badge

mortaydc60

Does anyone on the forum know of this ultra rare badge? Americans,Canadians,South Africans, Australian and Brits volunteered to fight for the pre-state of Israel. It was the first fighter squadron for the Israelis and the insignia design is still used today. The badge is a winged skull wearing a flying cap. It was depicted in the Trading Post in 1971 or so and at that time they had an ID of badge for sucide pilots which was incorrect. There was a recent documentary film on the unit that had wide spread release. I have one in my collection and regard this as my rarest insignia.

• 3 weeks later...

...Americans,Canadians,South Africans, Australian and Brits volunteered to fight for the pre-state of Israel. It was the first fighter squadron for the Israelis and the insignia design is still used today.

Two questions:

- It was the first fighter squadron for the Israelis... did it have any Israeli's IN it?

- ... the insignia design is still used today. By whom, or where?

Thank you for considering.

Yes there were Israeli piolots in the squadron and some went on to be rather important in the developement of the IDF air force and rise to the highest office. The insignia is still used today and can be seen on many of the fighters used over the years.

Yes there were Israeli piolots in the squadron and some went on to be rather important in the developement of the IDF air force and rise to the highest office. The insignia is still used today and can be seen on many of the fighters used over the years.

Thank you.