Army Corp of Engineers Hat Badge

gijoeou812

Hello,

I was at a local flea market this weekend to buy several military items for a Veteran's recognition ceremony where my girlfriend works, coming up on Veteran's Day next month. While I was looking through the cases on various periods of military medals and insignia, I came across this hat badge. I enjoy adding different badges to my collection when I get a chance and I have never had the chance to buy this one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the period when this was issued, and to whom it was issued, and its possible value?

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

post-14247-0-16331400-1477327850.jpg

Hello,

I was at a local flea market this weekend to buy several military items for a Veteran's recognition ceremony where my girlfriend works, coming up on Veteran's Day next month. While I was looking through the cases on various periods of military medals and insignia, I came across this hat badge. I enjoy adding different badges to my collection when I get a chance and I have never had the chance to buy this one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the period when this was issued, and to whom it was issued, and its possible value?

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Here is the back of the Badge

post-14247-0-23285600-1477327966.jpg

• 4 years later...

That is worn by the River Pilot when on the waterways.  I have one on the cap and I have seen them still in the wrapper.  They also made as a patch.  I don't know if the patch was authorized or just for civilian jacket.

River Pilot-F.jpg

• 1 month later...

First issued in 1969, Corps of Engineers Boat Personal. Was worn by civilian officers serving on ships more than 65 feet long.

• 2 months later...

One important thing has been left. While this is a badge for the Army Corps of Engineers it it not the branch of the Army. In this case the Army Corps of Engineers is the civilian organization that is responsible for flood control and inland waterways, every time there is a hurricane or flood their name comes up and they get the blame. At one time the Army was responsible for this but it has moved more and more to civilian control although the Army dose have oversight of it and the has name stuck. This is why they do not use the standard Army insignia.