DBDU Hot Weather Cap

FtrPlt

I recently rediscovered a few desert camo items while cleaning out stuff in my garage. This prompted a discussion with a couple of guys I served with back in the 1980s. One of the interesting comments I found interesting was the existence of a 6-color camo version of the old OG-507 hot weather field cap (cap that went with the old green fatigue uniform). I've only seen one or two photos of this cap in use -- the 6-color boonie being the better known headgear for the uniform.

Here's the only photo I have -- I believe these are US Navy guys, circa ~1982/83. Note the guy in the back row, second from the left.

post-65562-0-41809700-1477306779_thumb.jpg

I'd say early 80's with the chest pockets also with regards to headgear , could be what us British did with jungle boonies , folded the back and sides inside the hat to make a crude watch cap.

Yes, I've seen all manner variation on the boonie hats. What I'm enquiring about are purpose-made, issue ballcaps in 6-color camo. Two different folks I know who went to the Bright Star exercises in the early 80s both independently state were available. I thought I had an image of one but can't find it. I want to say it had a DSA-77 contract number. Literally a camo clone of the hot weather cap.

I know the cap your on about, the colours were slightly altered. The desert pink and green'ish sandy colours in regular issue was swapped over on the cap and the suit that it came with.

Looked closer at the photo. I think you're right -- boonie. I need to search around my computer -- I have a couple of photos of the ball caps. Only one shows the label.

Given the 1977 date, I'm curious how many of these were produced and when production ceased? From info in an e-mail exchange, I have the following:

Cap, Hot Weather

Class 3

DSA 100-77-C-0016

8415-01-020-2896