"mock village," "combat town," "village fighting course," "combat in cities course"

gcartelli

Brian Keith

I’ll have to find my photos of the training areas at Muscatatuck Urban Training Center, under the control of Camp Atterbury. I think there were some excellent training areas there. Not only did I run some of the training at Muscatatuck, and Atterbury, (I just retired as the Chief Instructor at the 138th Regional Training Institute Camp Atterbury) I went through some training there prior to my deployment to Afghanistan in 2012. The War ramped it up and the draw down has ramped it down. The first time I visited MUTC, we were told there was still some patients there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscatatuck_Urban_Training_Center

Muscatatuck was a long time mental health facility. It was a large, well-developed campus. One of the earliest times I visited to plan training missions for my troops, we were exploring the various tunnels leading to the basements of the buildings. We left a basement and had turned out the lights. We looked back and saw that the lights were back on. We thought, WTH, we went back in and saw a large stuffed bear in the center of the basement, that had not been there just a few minutes before. Is it possible someone was messing with us? Yes, but whom? We were the only ones we knew of that were on the grounds. Spooky!

Cool, didn't have that back there then for us in the old Snowhawk Brigade in 81-82.

I didn't know they had it until I saw this thread and it piqued my interest. I compared the digital version to what I remember it being like in real life and its pretty spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The mock city at Fort Lewis was all Wood-framed buildings resembling a German town when I went through it several times in 1978-79.

The mock city at Camp Rilea, Oregon is cinder block construction.

Both were named Regeburg or Regensburg, roughly translating to "Rain Town."

I also went through Doughboy City in West Berlin in 1975 or 1976.

I know I have photos of Berlin and Camp Rilea. I will try to find them and post them.

Posted Image

This is up near the hill overlooking the city

The whole place was massive

There was dead body smell pumped through vents

It reminded me of home growing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I personally trained at the McKenna MOUT site at Benning and the one at Ft Polk. I saw a few others at various places, as well, like the one at Camp Rilea and a couple of Marine base ones.

The Benning one had an agreement with an ice cream sales guy, he'd come rolling in every time he heard shooting. I was there for a W2 tactical re-enactment in 93 if memory serves, before I went active duty. We saw this truck coming through, someone pointed an MG out a window and said, "So help me, if ONE buy guy comes out of that thing..." I also got the all-time cool quote that day: "I'm going for a fudgecicle. Cover me."

I was at Fort Lewis back in the late 80s for some field exercises and there was a training village there called "Reaganville". The local Rangers used it as a staging area to attack us entrenched CB's

Regensburg, that is. It was built to look like Germany (probably looks like the Middle east now). Range control had a iron grip on the place (I was there 98 to 01) and we could never get them to sign off on any training there. Many of our soldiers didn't even know it existed as none ever got to use the place.

• 1 month later...

It has been a few years now but some buddies and I used to do any annual camp/fish trip to the area around Camp Grayling MI (north central lower peninsula). Two tracking around the SW part of the reservation we saw they Mock Village training area. 15-20 buildings, one even looks like a mosque, check points ect. even the road signs in the area were in Arabic. I Googled Camp Grayling Training village, there are a few images.

• 4 weeks later...

A while ago I wrote a book about Camp Hood during WW2. There are several pictures of the "Nazi Town" in it. I have attached them here.

post-161199-0-67411100-1523151243.png

"Nazi Town" looks more like the set of a Western movie than any place in Europe.

True, they probably didn't have time to build a stone and mortar medieval town.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but Camp Gruber, OK has a MOUT training area. Fort McCoy, WI has one too.

Here's one image of the Gruber MOUT.

MOUT.JPG

• 3 years later...

A WWII Mock Village Aberdeen Proving Ground 1943, has street signs in German there. a false well, painted plywood maybe or cardboard to look like a stone wall enclosure LOL, also a trialing of the M22 Locust Tank we see.

t.jpg

• 7 months later...
Rakkasan187

I was conducting some research in the museum archives, and I came across this newspaper article about the Viet Cong training village that was at Castner range at Fort Bliss, Texas. Some may know that a few weeks ago Castner range has now become a National Monument. Apologies for the small print and image of the story. I did not have the scanner available so I took a quick shot with my phone.

The larger image was taken from one of the 1969 Graduation Books for Basic Training.  The Soldiers used shotguns on this quick fire/reaction portion of the village.

Best regards

Leigh 

VCvillage2.jpg.516e546f924d8c880ed617207904f77c.jpgVCvillage3.jpg.cae2ee6608cdc235f732487e0212b9f6.jpg

VietCongTrainingVillageFtBliss.jpg.f5e518b3a7c010b22d562ea485f2dafd.jpg