beyond the farb

hbtcoveralls

fetish farb- a girl who is dressed by her S.O. in his take on women of the period which is filtered through his personal fantasies. Or particular to 20th century time periods, women who come to events with the impression of a pin up girl.

farby girl / farb ho- a woman who comes to re-enactments to hook up and due to others low standards and the over whelming odds in her favor, she is generally sucessful

Farb sitter- A wife or girlfriend who comes to an event for the sole purpose of watching over their SO and making sure he does not even enjoy himself a little, their impression is generally atrocious and they are amongst the most frustrating of the female farbs

Farbette/ she farb- a woman who comes out in a terrible impression that she acknowledges is wrong but was deliberately chosen because she feels it is more flattering to her, (for example I encountered a large woman who would only wear 50's style full skirted clothes because she felt it made her waist look smaller and was "close enough") or more comfortable, or cheaper.

Farblet- a child brought to an event and dressed by farby parents as a solider, medic or other inappropriate impression. These kids are blameless.

fantasy farb- a person at an event with an impression that is built straight out of their personal fantasies and has very little to do with actual history. Their impressions are generally very elaborate and multi layered with lots of explanatory stories to justify everything. Listening to these farbs interpret their impression requires a chair, popcorn, and a stiff drink.

-Sarah

Nice. We gotta a couple of those in the German units... (I do portray german...)

For example a real farby unit of FJ has there leader bring a different girfrien out every time and the unit leader dresses her in Fallshcirmjager male combat dress. It's ridiculous. One of em had to come with our heer unit (most authentic out of the german ones) and we were about to attack a small group of G.I.'s and she announced she had to "pee" and got up and left.

Sorry to hijack the post.

Sam

I remember those days.. I started reenacting in the early 80's.. My repop gear was made for the centenial.. My musket and first set of leathers were all originals and were bought as a group for the whopping sum of $385.. My 63 springfield looks better than my repop still. Even my repop musket has all original fixtures. Only the stock, barrel and ramrod are repop. When I still go to events, I am either the 1st Sgt or an officer and my swords are original.. My officer's sword was a friend's great-grandfather's and cost me $75, the NCO sword is a 63 dated AMES I found in a shop for $150..Repop scabbard for it tho.. The original is missing the tip..

My WW2 gear is still mostly original. I have literally tons of WW2 uniforms and equiptment.. What I reenact with is good enough for the field, but doesn't pass as keepers to me.. I used to pull this stuff from trash cans.. The web gear I carry is all from garbage cans in the mid to late 80's.. My canteed is a joke.. I found it for a buck at an antique shop.. It's a 44 volrath that the seller, in an effort to make the thing look better, polished to a high gloss.. I take it out and drink and it signals spacecraft. My first SS impression was all original and I had about $300 in it all and got my first repop uniform for a Chech. Mauser I had picked up for $50..As my items deteriorate, I have been replacing them with repops. I also don't use hard to find items anymore.. My under clothes, 41 jacket, and boots and sometimes my jeep cap are all repop. The rest has been in use since the mid 90's and is just now starting to show wear.. Heck, I've only replaced my legging laces once..My original boots died from the soles cracking. The leather and the laces were still good..You can't even tell the wear I put on them.

Keep in mind too, some of this stuff was so cheap years ago.. I bought NOS 2nd pattern jungle jackets at the local surplus store and wore them to pieces growing up.. I still find 3rd pattern NOS every now and then at the same place.. They had a display case 5X2X3 or so FULL of WW1 NOS pistol mag pouches for $1 each. They still have a cardboard box full I'm trying to get off them.. I recently got 14 M43 shovel covers and 20 1st aid pouches(mix of M24 and M-42 including the later dark OD ones) for around $2 each.. Most were very crisp and all but maybe 3 or 4 out of it all had readable dates.. At prices like those, why would I buy repop? Just my .02 MPC's

Fins.

I still use as much original Civil War stuff as I can. My canteen is an original that I recovered,and the M61 I use when I plan to actually fire it has many original parts on it. If I am not going to be shooting,I carry an original. When I wanted to make a canteen half for a plate,I found a damaged original on eBay that had a good side.

I did WW2 reenacting back when all of us US guys wore only original stuff. I just roll my eyes at all the posts by guys looking for the "best repro this or that". Like you, I have 'collector grade' stuff,and 'combat serviceable' stuff. This stuff is tough-I haven't hurt any of it yet,except for an M41 I tore on a thorn bush once :pinch: -but it was all raggedy already.

• 3 weeks later...
My favorite

The cell phone dependency reenactor. I suppose this is a symptom of today's culture, but I have been seeing this a lot recently. I am guilty of this, had to have mine when I was on call. But I had the decency to put it on vibrate...

I changed the ringtone for all of my unit and reenactor friends to "All Along The Watchtower". Nothing better than setting up a RON at an event and having Jimi lend some ambiance!

fetish farb- a girl who is dressed by her S.O. in his take on women of the period which is filtered through his personal fantasies. Or particular to 20th century time periods, women who come to events with the impression of a pin up girl.

Farbette/ she farb- a woman who comes out in a terrible impression that she acknowledges is wrong but was deliberately chosen because she feels it is more flattering to her, (for example I encountered a large woman who would only wear 50's style full skirted clothes because she felt it made her waist look smaller and was "close enough") or more comfortable, or cheaper.

These two are my favorites! And sadly I've seen both at events. I once loaned out an original American Red Cross uniform to a "friend of a friend" for a dance - and of course what does she put with it (even though I loaned her the correct shoes)? Platform heels with a 4" stiletto, because she thought they were "cuter." Um, no. Just no. FM heels and WWII uniforms do not mix!

• 9 months later...

O.K all,

Here first is the "guidelines" from our local "First Farb O'Foot"

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/cco2...hsguidlines.jpg

Then here is a slideshow to show how bad these fellows look.

http://arizonacivilwarcouncilinc.com/page22.html

Many of us have tried and continue to help these poor souls but they are set in doing this as bad as it is.

Scott

O.K all,

Here first is the "guidelines" from our local "First Farb O'Foot"

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/cco2...hsguidlines.jpg

Then here is a slideshow to show how bad these fellows look.

http://arizonacivilwarcouncilinc.com/page22.html

Many of us have tried and continue to help these poor souls but they are set in doing this as bad as it is.

Scott

Awww, bless 'em.... :)

Scott I can't decide to laugh or cry or laugh some more... :lol: Somebody sent this link to my fiance and I awhile ago and we both refused to believe it was real, now that you've posted it I'm afraid we'll have to accept that they do exist. :lol: :pinch:

-Sarah

Scott I can't decide to laugh or cry or laugh some more... :lol: Somebody sent this link to my fiance and I awhile ago and we both refused to believe it was real, now that you've posted it I'm afraid we'll have to accept that they do exist. :lol: :pinch:

-Sarah

I know the feeling. Heck I SAW the "uniforms" it was hard to controll myself and not EXPLODE! We are working on getting this fellow to quit or go.

Scott

Well, ye see, being a ration geek, I see some minute details to uniforms and gear and mockery of those who don't conform, yet the same ones who mock do exactly the same with rations and cookers as them they mock... :think:

And them that are mocked for their uniform anomalies accuse them who mock of being anal, yet the ones who mock, then are them accusing others of going on about rations as being anal... :pinch:

Funny auld world.... :thumbsup:

Leaping lizards!

How did they react to your offer for assistance? Looking at these truly dreadful photos (seriously, in 20+ years in the WW2 hobby I’ve never seen anything across the board this bad before being passed off as “re-enacting”), I can only wonder if they’re looking at this as “representationalist” like you find some theater and historical societies for parades and plays and such. There’s a local historical society near where I live that put on a ‘timeline’ for a 4th of July parade a couple of years ago. They had a guy geared up as a Span-Am soldier and his impression wasn’t the greatest. I tried to give them some advice on how to improve it on a budget and was told “this is just loaner stuff and they don’t use it often enough’ to merit spending any more money on it. Fair enough, at least they were honest in what they were trying to accomplish. But that sure doesn’t look like what I’m seeing linked above.

Man, just when you think you’ve seen it all. How serious people in the hobby don’t just bust out laughing around them, surprises me…

Those were some scary impressions, indeed. It seemed that they had spread themselves far too thin in terms of eras depicted and wound up shortchanging their impressions all around. I suspect that their motivation isn't that of authentic kit and whatnot, but something else . . .

With so much information out there (this forum, others, and a multiplicity of vendors), researching and procuring the right gear/uniforms for an impression isn't that tough, especially for the periods these guys depict.

John McP

I suppose it depends on what people enjoy, they look a bit more like a continuation of kids playing war than a serious attempt to recreate factual history so I guess you can just take them at face value. It's a bit like football I suppose, some people are good enough at it to do it for a living i.e. actual service people, some treat it as a pass time but take it seriously, want to give it their best shot, so join amatuer leagues or something structured whereas others just like going out occasionally and tossing a ball around with their friends. As long as people are able to appreciate which is which and what type they are then at least it keeps us off street corners and gives wives and girlfriends some quiet time.

"I done it for real"...

Because they have not done it as they wanted (US Army WWII Paratrooper), and feel they have to remind us mere humbly re-enactors who didn't join the British Army how wonderful and "orfentic" they are, re-enforcing their superiority and "authenticity" whereas in reality it stems from their own insecurity at failure on their own standards at John Wayne 1941-45...

"I done it for real"...

Because they have not done it as they wanted (US Army WWII Paratrooper), and feel they have to remind us mere humbly re-enactors who didn't join the British Army how wonderful and "orfentic" they are, re-enforcing their superiority and "authenticity" whereas in reality it stems from their own insecurity at failure on their own standards at John Wayne 1941-45...

This is something you see mostly among those with AB impressions for some reason. I have talked with WW2 AB vets, and the majority agree that someone who jumped in Peacetime (usually just the 5 jumps for the wings at Benning) from a C-141 or C-17 at 1000FT AGL in training conditions is NOT the same as those who went out the door in C-47s under heavy fire into hostile lands.

But try telling the modern “five jump chump” re-enactor that. You’ll never make a lifetime enemy faster, I assure you of that!

I never went to jump school (I put in for it several times but I was in a non-AB unit in the pre-9/11 Army), but I would never presume to think that I’m on the same level as the WW2 vets who wore the same shoulder patches I wore decades after WW2. To me, if you weren’t actually in WW2, you’re a wanna-be (in the context of being a WW2 soldier), regardless of any arguments you can bring up. I have no problems admitting to myself or others than I’m not the same as the WW2 versions of what I did in real life. I have no idea why so many re-enactors are living in utter denial on that point.

This is something you see mostly among those with AB impressions for some reason. I have talked with WW2 AB vets, and the majority agree that someone who jumped in Peacetime (usually just the 5 jumps for the wings at Benning) from a C-141 or C-17 at 1000FT AGL in training conditions is NOT the same as those who went out the door in C-47s under heavy fire into hostile lands.

But try telling the modern “five jump chump” re-enactor that. You’ll never make a lifetime enemy faster, I assure you of that!

I never went to jump school (I put in for it several times but I was in a non-AB unit in the pre-9/11 Army), but I would never presume to think that I’m on the same level as the WW2 vets who wore the same shoulder patches I wore decades after WW2. To me, if you weren’t actually in WW2, you’re a wanna-be (in the context of being a WW2 soldier), regardless of any arguments you can bring up. I have no problems admitting to myself or others than I’m not the same as the WW2 versions of what I did in real life. I have no idea why so many re-enactors are living in utter denial on that point.

Aye, and they will use any excuse to wear American awards... A film shoot, or character portrayal I can understand, but at a birthday bash, some dinner and dance, or group fancy dress is a bit sad...

We had a rule, when I was reenacting US and German, that no badges,wings etc. were to be worn on any uniform

unless earned out in the real world. We considered that as the ultimate farb.

We had a rule, when I was reenacting US and German, that no badges,wings etc. were to be worn on any uniform

Our guys wear qualification badges ONLY after they complete a period training and are ACTUALLY qualified.

Scott

Ye "earned" obsolete German awards? How can ye earn an award that isn't awarded?

OK, lets do it like this. When I reenacted US.

But ye already stated German :think: Never mind, ye wear WWII theatre campaign ribbons? Or, even modern awards, or campaign ribbons on a WWII uniform?

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I agree to some degree. Airborne School is much easier than it used to be. The actual rigs and towers haven't changed that much but the physical conditioning is very average. After 13 weeks at Infantry Basic, the Airborne School was easy as far as PT went. The harrassment was pretty decent and the risk of injury from the various apparatus was very similar. I can't speak for all jump school grads but the real training begins when you arrive at your duty station. The long walks with heavy rucksacks, the sand and bugs and heat and lack of sleep are no different for any Infantryman. The 100 mile three day roadmarches with full gear were the same. Ammunition is heavy and learning what to carry and what wasn't useful (like gas masks/pro masks) has never changed.

I think the Army changed less than some people think; at least in my experience.

I also reenacted Vietnam- I suppose someone is gonna say that there is no similarity between Vietnam and the Army today?

I would have to disagree that my experiences in the infantry were significantly different than a wwii infantryman. My combat experiences were different, but then combat infantrymen don't compare their wars because they're all different. WWII combat was obviously more risky than today (I assume based upon survival rates) and all that fancy body armor. If the world gets into another multi theater conventional war then you will see similar decimation as you would in any war. Bombs is bombs and bullets is bullets. The damage hasn't changed, only the names of the participants.

Now WWI was different.

Rock

In your experience of playing soldier?

Which followed my post of your experience of a WWII soldier...

Which means:

You've experienced me playing at WWII soldier?

Which in turn leads me to:

ye managed to, by mind kinetics traverse the thousands of miles from yours to mines shores and done a Vulcan mind meld and experienced my own "playing at soldiers" in some field of Britain or Italy?

EDIT: It's about time this is is said, and I'm sure there are those who agree: Yer on the freakin happy tablets rock....

EDIT No 2: I don't need happy tablets, I've been mental for years....