beyond the farb

hbtcoveralls

Hi All

The re-enactor term "Farby" is ingrained into the fabric of the re-enactor culture. Someone or some unit that just doesn't measure up is casually noted as farby. But through the years I've come up with some "Farbyisms" do describe some members of the Farby set and those of us who sometimes stray. Please feel free to post your own take on these.

Farbzilla- one who is obviously too large for his portrayal, ie 7'3 and a ball turret gunner (also works for weight)

Farbarella- Female personell portraying a male personell.

Digifarb- absolutely authentic except for his Casio timepiece

Farb-o-flage- the shelter half over the coleman cooler so that the public can't see the bright red and highly

inauthentic receptical for large quantities of cokes or beer

Alumafarb- absolutely authentic except for the modern can of coke or beer held in plain view while the public is there

Visafarb- Knows absloutely nothing about their protrayal, but has all the gear. Charged on VISA

GomerPylefarb- Sure he's an 1870s infantryman, but all of his drill commands and jargon sound suspiciously like the

commands I'm sure he learned at Parris Island in 1979. Aye Aye where's the head?

Anachrafarb- Showing up WWII at a Vietnam display, or the Civil War guy at WWII weekend.

M-thirtyFarb- The Camoflaged 1967 Kaiser/willys M-35 2 1/2 ton truck at the WWII re-enactment parking in

everybody's pictures. Also works for the M-38 or M-151s at the same type of event

Arsenal of Democrafarb- The GI carrying a Sten, or the Tommy with an M-3 greasegun

Fart-Gun-Farb- The guy who just fired the 15 minute burst from the propane powered MG-42

I'm sure there a alot more out there, but that's my list. Anybody I've left out? Lets hear yours

Tom Bowers

Reprofarb... Every single piece of uniform and equipment he has is 100% Reproduction... and bad repro at that... 2. Takes no effort whatsoever to aquire anything original for his impression...

Wayne

Reprofarb... Every single piece of uniform and equipment he has is 100% Reproduction... and bad repro at that... 2. Takes no effort whatsoever to aquire anything original for his impression...

Wayne

Also known as a "farb savant."

Wayne

Whoops, that's me. Well, minus the helmet and canteen.

Oh well

Wayne

I am confused and I just had to say something on this one. I really don't have a dog in this race as I don't reenact. So I guess this is just a point of clarification.

I thought that the idea was repro. It is reenacting, they - the people are repros, yes even the farbs werent there. So as an observer I am asking why does it matter if nothing is original as long as it looks the part. Why screw up a good piece by playing army?

In line with pathfinder505 and speaking as a collector and not as a reenactor, it pains me to see authentic equipment being used in a reenacment where it can be potentially damaged. Yes, I know it's combat gear but, it's also nearly 70 years old if it's a WWII impression. Stick with the "quality" reproductions for reenacting. Heck, if one of you airborne reenactors has an original helmet, I'll buy you "two" repro helmets to replace it. I know, I know, I'm just a great guy sacrificing & trying to help out you reenactors. :rolleyes:

Boy that sure sounds like a good deal! :lol: . Even if I HAD a real Airborne helmet (and I don't), I certainly wouldn't wear it the field at an event! The repro stuff does the trick for me!

Living history events and displays = original gear

Running through the bush and jumping into shell holes, while shooting blanks at folks = repro gear

Too much quality repro gear is available to jusify using original stuff in my opinion. I think the idea of using as much original gear as possible comes from the days when good repro stuff was nowhere to be seen, and originals were the only option.

The difference for me really comes from when you stop to think about it, the original items were worn by folks who fought for thier lives, and thier friends lives. Many times they were killed while wearing this stuff.

If you want to play army with your friends, use repro gear. If you want to teach the public, and maintain reverence for the men and women who used this gear as tools to defend liberty, then by all means use as much original gear as you can.

Just my .02 cents.

Hey! I'm quoted! cool!

But I recall the early WW2 reenactor days when everything, from US jump suits to SS cammo smocks were real. I recall hearing from folks that during the ACW centenial that some of the real hard corps folks wore all original civil war gear down to their underwear. Mainly the rich leader types. Just like everything at a WW1 event was real only a few years ago.

How about the Society of Creative Anachronism? It's a medieval reenactment group. They prefer medieval weaponry over leather mugs but are a mixed bag of nuts. College campuses usually have them around.

Not to one-up you, but I put a long list of these in print!

FarbPromo.jpg

FarbInner.jpg

:lol:

Hi Lee,

That's really swell, where can I get one? I think I met you years ago at a display we were doing in Baltimore for the B&O RR museum.

Thanks

Tom Bowers

I am confused and I just had to say something on this one. I really don't have a dog in this race as I don't reenact. So I guess this is just a point of clarification.

I thought that the idea was repro. It is reenacting, they - the people are repros, yes even the farbs werent there. So as an observer I am asking why does it matter if nothing is original as long as it looks the part. Why screw up a good piece by playing army?

I totally agree with this. If you have good reproduction stuff and it looks new (well, used and not 70 years old, anyway), I think you're actually doing a commendable job! I use mostly original gear and some reproduction clothing and footwear items because I have a good collection of the real gear but don't want to rip or tear a shirt or pants from my collection (and yes, I have plenty that fits that is original).

Hi Lee,

That's really swell, where can I get one? I think I met you years ago at a display we were doing in Baltimore for the B&O RR museum.

Thanks

Tom Bowers

Dang Tom, that was ten years ago, good memory! Check out the link from my signature, click the yellow box, it'll give you a link to the stuff I make...

For displays real gear all the way..tromping through the woods, repro. With a little work and ingenuity even the repro stuff can have that combat look. One of the best compliments was given to us at the Michigan chapter 101st Airborne Reunion a couple of weeks ago by a WWII 101st Veteran, he walked up to us and said "Damn! You look just like we did!" That to me is what reenacting is all about.

I heard stories about shortlived reenactors who got all excited about the 50th anniversary of D-Day. A lot of them went out and bought vintage boots, trousers, weapons, etc and then signed up for one of a dozen landing reenactments. As the stories went, they were quite surprised to find out what wading through the surf and wet sand did to their vintage boots and kit! A hard lesson apparently learned by many that should not have surprised anyone!

A clarification needs to be made.

In most cases, there are "excellent quality, accurate reproductions" that are made with identical materials and methods as the original item.

The opposite of that usually ends up being a mass-produced piece of junk that is maybe 3/4 accurate, or ressembles what it's supposed to be, but misses the mark for some reason. That reason could be anything....material used, construction methods, color, weight, etc.

It is prefferable for reenactors to use repro gear whenever possible, but it must be the right gear to acheive the right look.

Hey! I'm quoted! cool!

But I recall the early WW2 reenactor days when everything, from US jump suits to SS cammo smocks were real. I recall hearing from folks that during the ACW centenial that some of the real hard corps folks wore all original civil war gear down to their underwear. Mainly the rich leader types. Just like everything at a WW1 event was real only a few years ago.

I remember those days.. I started reenacting in the early 80's.. My repop gear was made for the centenial.. My musket and first set of leathers were all originals and were bought as a group for the whopping sum of $385.. My 63 springfield looks better than my repop still. Even my repop musket has all original fixtures. Only the stock, barrel and ramrod are repop. When I still go to events, I am either the 1st Sgt or an officer and my swords are original.. My officer's sword was a friend's great-grandfather's and cost me $75, the NCO sword is a 63 dated AMES I found in a shop for $150..Repop scabbard for it tho.. The original is missing the tip..

My WW2 gear is still mostly original. I have literally tons of WW2 uniforms and equiptment.. What I reenact with is good enough for the field, but doesn't pass as keepers to me.. I used to pull this stuff from trash cans.. The web gear I carry is all from garbage cans in the mid to late 80's.. My canteed is a joke.. I found it for a buck at an antique shop.. It's a 44 volrath that the seller, in an effort to make the thing look better, polished to a high gloss.. I take it out and drink and it signals spacecraft. My first SS impression was all original and I had about $300 in it all and got my first repop uniform for a Chech. Mauser I had picked up for $50..As my items deteriorate, I have been replacing them with repops. I also don't use hard to find items anymore.. My under clothes, 41 jacket, and boots and sometimes my jeep cap are all repop. The rest has been in use since the mid 90's and is just now starting to show wear.. Heck, I've only replaced my legging laces once..My original boots died from the soles cracking. The leather and the laces were still good..You can't even tell the wear I put on them.

Keep in mind too, some of this stuff was so cheap years ago.. I bought NOS 2nd pattern jungle jackets at the local surplus store and wore them to pieces growing up.. I still find 3rd pattern NOS every now and then at the same place.. They had a display case 5X2X3 or so FULL of WW1 NOS pistol mag pouches for $1 each. They still have a cardboard box full I'm trying to get off them.. I recently got 14 M43 shovel covers and 20 1st aid pouches(mix of M24 and M-42 including the later dark OD ones) for around $2 each.. Most were very crisp and all but maybe 3 or 4 out of it all had readable dates.. At prices like those, why would I buy repop? Just my .02 MPC's

Fins.

I remember those days.. I started reenacting in the early 80's.. My repop gear was made for the centenial.. My musket and first set of leathers were all originals and were bought as a group for the whopping sum of $385.. My 63 springfield looks better than my repop still. Even my repop musket has all original fixtures. Only the stock, barrel and ramrod are repop. When I still go to events, I am either the 1st Sgt or an officer and my swords are original.. My officer's sword was a friend's great-grandfather's and cost me $75, the NCO sword is a 63 dated AMES I found in a shop for $150..Repop scabbard for it tho.. The original is missing the tip..

My WW2 gear is still mostly original. I have literally tons of WW2 uniforms and equiptment.. What I reenact with is good enough for the field, but doesn't pass as keepers to me.. I used to pull this stuff from trash cans.. The web gear I carry is all from garbage cans in the mid to late 80's.. My canteed is a joke.. I found it for a buck at an antique shop.. It's a 44 volrath that the seller, in an effort to make the thing look better, polished to a high gloss.. I take it out and drink and it signals spacecraft. My first SS impression was all original and I had about $300 in it all and got my first repop uniform for a Chech. Mauser I had picked up for $50..As my items deteriorate, I have been replacing them with repops. I also don't use hard to find items anymore.. My under clothes, 41 jacket, and boots and sometimes my jeep cap are all repop. The rest has been in use since the mid 90's and is just now starting to show wear.. Heck, I've only replaced my legging laces once..My original boots died from the soles cracking. The leather and the laces were still good..You can't even tell the wear I put on them.

Keep in mind too, some of this stuff was so cheap years ago.. I bought NOS 2nd pattern jungle jackets at the local surplus store and wore them to pieces growing up.. I still find 3rd pattern NOS every now and then at the same place.. They had a display case 5X2X3 or so FULL of WW1 NOS pistol mag pouches for $1 each. They still have a cardboard box full I'm trying to get off them.. I recently got 14 M43 shovel covers and 20 1st aid pouches(mix of M24 and M-42 including the later dark OD ones) for around $2 each.. Most were very crisp and all but maybe 3 or 4 out of it all had readable dates.. At prices like those, why would I buy repop? Just my .02 MPC's

Fins.

Hey! Didn't I see that canteen at the Willow Run/YAM event this year??!! think.gif

LOL Wasn't me.. You mean there's 2 ??? I thought mine was bad enough.. Good laff tho

Fins.

Guy was drinking out of it as we were walking by, looked almost chromed! We were chuckling over that one a bit...

No doubt.. My CO from the 83rd about fell over laffin at mine.. Sad thing is, other than the polish job, it's a solid canteen. It obviosly had gotten water damage as the cap had rust stains and the chain was gone.. Got a whole replaement, NOS at a gunshow for $1. It has no dents from the snaps or leaks or anything..

Other than the godawful polish job, it rocks

Fins

No doubt.. My CO from the 83rd about fell over laffin at mine.. Sad thing is, other than the polish job, it's a solid canteen. It obviosly had gotten water damage as the cap had rust stains and the chain was gone.. Got a whole replaement, NOS at a gunshow for $1. It has no dents from the snaps or leaks or anything..

Other than the godawful polish job, it rocks

Fins

Well, look at it this way..2 of you can shave at once, one to a side, you can blind enemy pilots on strafing runs,etc.etc! :lol:

Well, look at it this way..2 of you can shave at once, one to a side, you can blind enemy pilots on strafing runs,etc.etc! :lol:

Never thought of that.. I'll have to take it to Victory Days this weekend and see if that will work