?European Campaign with 7 stars and invasion arrowhead?

marentius

post-2571-0-49709100-1477243773_thumb.jpg

just wondering,does the stars on this ribbon show 5 campaigns (the silver one) + 2 campaigns for a total amount of 7 campaigns or there is no difference between bronze and silver stars on a ribbon?

thank you in advance for any information

A silver star on a campaign ribbon indicates five (5) campaigns and a bronze star indicates one (1) campaign. The bronze arrowhead indicates participation in one or more invasions. Hope that helps.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I have my grandfathers ribbon, and it has 7 bronze stars...I guess they were out of silver ones at the moment! His arrowhead was placed on the ribbon drape of the medal, due to the lack of room on the ribbon bar...

Looks like someone that was with the 3rd Infantry Division. No mater how many assault landings you have you are only authorized ONE. Usually it's the ARROWHEAD then stars.

Hello,thank you very much for the precious informations.The ribbons belong to an Ike jacket that bears only the 5th Army patch on the left sleeve and nothing else.I will search it more carefully,because it seems it belonged to an EM that went through all the Italian campaign plus one or more than one landings.

I would think the 1st Inf Div (8 campaigns & assault credit), 3rd Infantry Division (7 campaigns & 4 assault landings), 9th Infantry Division (8 campaigns & assault credit), 45th Division (8 campaigns & assault credit), or 82nd A/B DIV (7 campaigns & assault credit.

But since there are 7 and not 8 campaigns it could be 3rd Inf Div or 82nd A/B Div