USAF Museum: Disney Insignia From WWII

gwb123

Disney designed insignia are honored with a special exhibit at the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton.

As the museum webpage notes:

"Walt Disney served in World War I when he was 16 years old as a Red Cross ambulance driver. He understood the value of cartoon humor to unit morale and esprit-de-corps. Throughout his service in France, he embellished his ambulance and others in his unit with drawings and cartoons, much to the delight of all."

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/196132/disney-pins-on-wings.aspx

Walt is seen at his drawing board sketching out new designs to help answer some of the hundreds of requests received from units, ships and individuals. Demand got so high he formed a six man team just to keep up with them.

AA 1b.jpg

AA 2.jpg

bb 1.jpg

bb 2.jpg

The museum offers a selection of Disney inspired designs painted onto flight jackets. Some of these were local creations based on Disney characters, and not drawn at the studios.

Cannon Ball.jpg

Cannon Ball b.jpg

Aircraft Nose Art was also often based on Disney Designs. Here is a photo display of bombers named after the Seven Dwarfs. Note the matching 1940's toy figure.

WW 1a.jpg

And not to be forgotten, civilian workers were also given designs as well.

I hope you enjoyed looking at these. Just one of many smaller exhibits at the National Museum of the US Air Force.

There were a few more patches that I could not get a decent photo of. If you've also been there, feel free to add examples to this thread.

WW 2b.jpg

I finally made it down to the museum. That was a very nice display they had for the Disney art work. I loved the hall of flight jackets.Well worth the 8hr drive, one way.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the Disney exhibit, there were other Disney created and inspired designs scattered among other exhibits at the USAF Museum. As I get them formatted, I will add them here.

One of the most popular among collectors and historians is Fifinella, worn by the Women's Airforce Service Pilots.

For more details, see: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/277675-usaf-museum-wasp-display/

W 20.jpg

W 31.jpg

Over at the Flight Nurse display was a flight jacket with this 801st Medical Evacuation Squadron patch. I have been debating whether the "pilot" or lead on the stretcher is supposed to be Donald or Daisy. Look at the collar.

Please see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/277999-usaf-museum-wwii-aaf-flight-nurse-display/

DD 1.jpg

DD 4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great images. Thanks for posting them. I was originally supposed to help with the exhibit. I supplied a ton of info to the Museum curator, sent him multiple free copies of my book for him and his staff, sent him dozens of images along with related background...and then I found out through a misdirected email that he made a decision to not have me be involved. Taught me a valuable lesson, that's for sure. The curator was a class one a-hole. He used some of my images in the exhibit without my permission. I told him to remove them (and they were subsequently removed) as he didn't even bother to give me photo credit in the exhibit. And then when he gave "his" guest lecture he quoted large swaths of my book without giving me credit. I'm happy to say he no longer works there.

I am currently involved in co-curating a Disney WW II-themed exhibit in California. I'll give more details once the facility does their public announcement.

"I am currently involved in co-curating a Disney WW II-themed exhibit in California. I'll give more details once the facility does their public announcement."

As a former museum curator, I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had with that curator and exhibit out there... though it is not all that surprising.

When Walt passed away, a major part of his estate went into founding and building California Institute of the Arts (in Valencia). I was in the first graduating class (1971) of that school and am a member of the Los Angeles chapter of their Alumni Association. Their animation program is still quite active. It would be wonderful if, somehow, CalArts knew or could learn of Disney's contribution to the war effort.

Thanks for the post Bluehawk. I am very familiar with CalArts. One of my friends, Disney artist Mike Peraza was a graduate. As you mentioned, Walt Disney was a huge supporter of the institute. Besides money from his estate, at one point, Walt and his brother Roy donated $1,000,000 in Disney stock through their family foundation to the school.

My experiences with the Air Force Museum taught me some valuable lessons.

I should be signing the contract with the SoCal museum in the next week. Once the contract is finalized and signed I'll post details here.

I'd like to get the National World War II Museum, or the Boeing Museum interested in a Disney-themed WW II exhibit.

At the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco (at the Presidio) is a fantastic display and history of Disney's artistry in service to the armed forces during WWII. I'll locate my photos from my September trip (with my wife) and share them if it is appropriate.

At the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco (at the Presidio) is a fantastic display and history of Disney's artistry in service to the armed forces during WWII. I'll locate my photos from my September trip (with my wife) and share them if it is appropriate.

Dave,

I have a slightly off-topic question I'm hoping you may be able to answer.

The majority of Walt Disney's success was achieved in Southern California, so how did the Disney Family Museum end up in San Francisco?

Not a major issue, just one I've always been curious about.

Thanks,

Bob

Really great thread and brilliant photos. Thank you! Wright-Pat museum is a world-class operation. It is a go-to place for aviation history and historians, Regrettably, sometimes people in an operation set their own rules and standards. One 'bad apple' im this case should not poison the bushel. Bobgee

Please do share. You can either do that here or maybe better yet start it's own thread.