WWII Navy Helmet find M-1 ?

AverageJoeWWII

AverageJoeWWII

<p>Picked this up the other day for $40..My first WWII helmet. Is it Navy ? A repaint ? what do I have here ? Heat stamp 1073D fixed bail rear seam. The color is a dark blue and you can see green under it...Comments ??</p>post-39781-0-15925200-1477180563_thumb.jpg

It's a pretty late war helmet and judging by the color and should be navy. The problem with navy helmets is that they are re used and reused and reused, so it is hard to know if that particular helmet was used in ww2 judging from the paint job. Even the liner being ww2 doesn't guarantee that, but who knows. Plus,sailors painted their helmets with any paint lying around. there really isn't any specific color to show what job the helmet was worn on(unless it's orange, yellow, or red) My guess is that it was used ether primarily in Korea or really late ww2.

But ether way, it's still a very, very nice late war navy helmet with a nice liner, especially for 40 bucks. I'd take that any day! Great find

And also, it's a M1 helmet

Well either way helmet pot and liner are both ww2 made, we just dont know about the repaint and use time period but its all legit and for $40 i would take that all day

Should I leave the blue paint on or try and remove it ?

I would not mess with it at all. It's a very nice ww2 helmet, even if it may have been used after the war

Just to add to the other comments, the chinstraps are Korea or Nam era. If the metal clips where the straps attach to the helmet are green then they are Korea era, if black then VN era.

Also those are swivel bales, not fixed.

Sweet grab for $40, and I agree leave the paint as is.