Patch ID Help

Jay V

Hi Guys

Hey just received this small group in a recent trade and was wondering if anyone can ID the patch for me. Thanks in advance Jay

post-564-0-70029300-1477104819.jpg

15 AF was part of Strategic Air Command, and this is a SAC era patch. It was awarded to aircrew/missile crew members that distinguished themselves in some way. 15 AF was stationed at March AFB, CA., but had units all over the western US.

Randy

Thanks Randy.But could a Air Force Security Police officer be awarded one of these? As the 2 came tighter. Jay

I'm pretty sure the answer to that would be, "Yes"

I reviewed the regulation for AFGSC CME award and patch wearing this morning, and did not see that it specifies or excludes any particular AFSC.

In fact, in SAC Air Police played an extremely key role 365/24/7.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/afgsc/publication/afgsci36-2810/afgsci36-2810.pdf

I'm pretty sure the answer to that would be, "Yes"

I reviewed the regulation for AFGSC CME award and patch wearing this morning, and did not see that it specifies or excludes any particular AFSC.

In fact, in SAC Air Police played an extremely key role 365/24/7.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/afgsc/publication/afgsci36-2810/afgsci36-2810.pdf

But.. the term "crew member", means being part of an aircrew. Even tho Security Police played an important part in SAC, as did other personnel who had functions on the ground in support of the flying mission, an SP officer or enlisted man would not be part of an aircrew.

There could be a million reasons these two items came together or from the same person, but being an SP as part of an aircrew would not be one of them.

Lee pretty well summed it up, air/missile CREW members only. SAC had a very active crewmember award system at the air force level. The 2 and 8 AFs had Blue Ribbon Crew awards as well. I have gotten all kinds of strange lots over the years and found that the unrelated parts were just that. Even over my military career I have kept odd unrelated things that would make a collector scratch his head. Just 'cause they were neat at the time! :D

Randy

post-8832-0-22727400-1477148985.jpg

But.. the term "crew member", means being part of an aircrew. Even tho Security Police played an important part in SAC, as did other personnel who had functions on the ground in support of the flying mission, an SP officer or enlisted man would not be part of an aircrew.

There could be a million reasons these two items came together or from the same person, but being an SP as part of an aircrew would not be one of them.

Not totally sure what the Crew Member qualifying regs were during SAC, at that time, but would like to be informed.

Seems to me not unreasonable that Air Police might or would (or should) have been deemed Crew, especially in a SAC unit, in support of the flying mission.

Of course, even if true, that alone is not a justification to assume that the patch and badge belong together in some or any way.