M7 plastic scabbard for M1 Garand bayonet - real or repro?

agate hunter

Picked this scabbard up as part of a lot recently, was wondering if it was a reproduction? I've never seen plastic scabbards like this before. Has a Vp 11 marking on the front, for Victory plastics I believe. A light can shine through it easily.
Any help would be appreciated.

post-10495-0-98860200-1477098595_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-97057400-1477098615_thumb.jpg

It looks real. But a bit unusual as the Victory Plastics logo should be on the back of the scabbard, not the front as seen here. So it was either assembled backwards at the factory or has been messed with at some other point in time. I dont think anyone has begun reproducing with the VP logo. Also, the metal throat should have a BN and a number or two stamped under the top of the throat next to the hanger. Those are the manufacturer's (Beckwith) markings. Is there much paint left on it? The absence of paint or if it's real thinly applied paint may explain the light shining through it.

The metal may be original, I would look for the B x/x N mark under the top plate.

The body is modern repro. You can buy the body by itself, or as part of a "reconditioned" scabbard as well as complete scabbards. With all of the tip damaged M7 scabbards around, and those coming in from the Greek CMP batch, there was quite a bit of demand for bodies, and there have been a number of the new bodies added to good uppers.

The VP logo is used on some of these bodies, and is found on long M3 bodies, the M7 version, and on many new made M8A1 scabbards, including the S.W.I. ones and the U.S. SPEC version.

A real scabbard body will not allow light to pass through, but the new made ones are simply molded plastic and are somewhat translucent.

For instance:

http://www.northridgeinc.com/store/index.cfm/c123/i1675 although I don't know if these have the VP logo.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but here is my VP scabbard. It has a VP19 marking and the BN marking on the throat plate. Also, light does not pass through it. The scabbard came with a UFH bayonet.

5C6F91D2-1808-42E9-8850-9A27C42099FB.jpeg

7900E8F7-11B2-4F1E-9EA4-421183C43F77.jpeg

C00D0AF7-8138-4BB5-B3F3-6FF2D5FC4FA1.jpeg