Opinion on Leather Flight Jacket

MasonK

strap is a field mod (I think) for the goggles...helmet is the Type C

cool he got the jacket...and your not saying the auction jacket is the same as the jacket in the period photo...

No, jacket is not the same. Actually, I identified the wrong person as Skinner. Pilot wearing the flight jacket in the period photo is standing in front of Skinner's Spitfire, but not Skinner.

Hmm. This is a very strange jacket. The tag in pocket doesn't look like a tag at all, but a receipt or something else pinned in there. I have no idea at all. If it were reasonable, I'd maybe have given it a shot for the value of the patch. How is it that the liner is wasted but the rest in awfully nice shape? I'm not trying to be a troll - just befuddled.

Hmm. This is a very strange jacket. The tag in pocket doesn't look like a tag at all, but a receipt or something else pinned in there. I have no idea at all. If it were reasonable, I'd maybe have given it a shot for the value of the patch. How is it that the liner is wasted but the rest in awfully nice shape? I'm not trying to be a troll - just befuddled.

Same thoughts here...you can see the word DANGER and Sport or Support on one part of the lable.Really not a spec lable as I know them.Almost like a sticker or a ticket in the pocket that stuck.

Im thinking its post WW2 commercial jacket by the remains of the lining.See this stuff in vintage motor cycle and other civilian jackets.Im thinking the vet at some point picked up a jacket and had a patch sewn on or by some one else

Hello,

I didn't really have time to post anything other than the photos yesterday so here is the full story.

As Eric (MasonK) pointed out the jacket was previously described on the auction site with the information below.

At the time of this auction, it was described as a post WWII jacket.

"Post WWII Army Air Force leather jacket with brown fur collar and USAAF on left sleeve. Jacket features squadron patch (cloth) on left breast. Jacket is missing liner, exhibits resews on lower pockets and significant dryness to leather."

I did not see the earlier description until Eric found it AFTER the auction had ended.

I bought the jacket hoping it was WWII but not counting on it and also, I really liked the patch.

I did find out before bidding that it was attributed to the 308th.

Anyway, AFTER I won the item at auction I was heading for the door to pay when a guy stopped me who I will call Mr. P to keep his ID anonymous.

I never saw Mr. P before.

Mr. P told me that he was the original person who sold the jacket to the auction house.

He said that he got the jacket from Bill Skinner who he knew and who told him he wore the jacket during WWII.

THIS MAY BE COMPLETE BS, I HAVE NO IDEA. I am just telling you what happened.

Anyway, Mr. P told me to email him and he would give me more info on how he acquired the jacket.

I emailed him yesterday and will update when I get a response.

Mr. P is from Lansdale PA and Bill Skinner lived in NJ so it is not out of the question that the two knew each other.

For what it is worth, the jacket appears really old and the patch appears to have been on the jacket a very long time.

How long I do not know.

Is there any way of confirming whether it is a war time private purchase vs. post war jacket?

If so I would like to know one way or the other.

As for price, I paid under $200 for it.

EARLIER DESCRIPTION OF JACKET FROM PRIOR AUCTION A YEAR EARLIER:

US WW II leather flight jacket of l. William F. Skinner, fighter pilot, Mediterranean Theater.1st Lt. USAAF William (Bill) J. Skinner saw service during WW II in the Mediterranean Theater as a fighter pilot, 308 Squadron, 31st Fighter Group, 12th Air Force (then the 15th AF), seeing active service in North Africa, Malta, Sicily and Italy. Lt. Skinner flew 155 combat missions piloting British Spitfire models MKVb, MKVc, MKVIII, and North American P-51 Mustangs. He is credited with three BF (ME)-109 German fighters destroyed over Italy (See photo of 2 swastikas on Skinner's Spitfire), and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). Lt. Skinner's jacket is a private purchase leather flight jacket, similar to the US-AN type jacket, displaying machine embroidered squadron patch on left breast. Liner is missing. The patch itself is extremely rare. Bill Skinner told the consignor that he had several flight jackets, however, this is the jacket he had worn on most of his missions. Jacket obtained directly fromBill Skinner early '80s by the consignor. An enlarged scan of Bill Skinner's note to the consignor and original note are included in the lot. Bill Skinner's color photographs of himself in or near his Spitfire and other squadron members taken in theater of operations, WW II, are published in the books "Bomber Command" and "Fighter Command". See Fighter Command and selected photos. included with the group.

https://new.liveauct...m/item/41568005