Opening a MINT IN BOX USN Life Preserver Belt

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

I have a slightly different take on this.

Thank you for documenting the opening of this boxed item,you did a really great job for future reference!

Did opening the box hurt the value? I don't know, maybe. But the collecting community gained an invaluable resource.

Thank you. This was meant to be educational. Not much is online about these belts. I figured that someone would find it interesting.

stealthytyler

It is important to note that this belt did not include C02 cartridges. I assume all belts from all manufacturers were shipped this way?

Here is a picture of my other belts C02 caps. Is this the early type you are talking about??

attachicon.gifUSN Flotation Belt.jpg

Yes, these are scare and are usually all 1942 production pieces. About the only scarcer one might be the blue/gray belts which seem to be very hard to find.

stealthytyler

Yes, these are scare and are usually all 1942 production pieces. About the only scarcer one might be the blue/gray belts which seem to be very hard to find.

Oh nice! Thanks for the info

Might I interject something here, now I haven't made a study of these belts but am going to have to argue the fact about early versus late caps as been discussed here. The belt posted was manuafctured in November 1944 which is clearly stamped and seen in one of the images posted. Also that contract was awarded in August 1944. So those two facts places this item well past 1942 and based off that I do not think the caps are a viable dating system. On products such as inflatables they have a service life and were required by specifications to have a manufacture date, for example on these belts it MAY be required that they be removed from service 3 years after date of manufacture. Also these dates will establish the basis on which they will receive their semi-annual and annual inspections. The likely truth is that caps or castings were supplied by multiple sub contractors and is merely a manufacture variant. The gas cartridges would be supplied separately.

Dustin, the belt he posted at the start of the thread is not the same one he posted later one with the other caps. I don't disagree that it could be a sub-contractor variant, but all of those I have seen so far have been dated 1942.

I agree about the later reinspection dates too.

stealthytyler

I would have just bought another minty belt to display next to the box.

I always end up regretting permanently changing an item.

To each their own right? :D

I open WWII packages of 75 year old NOS Harley Davidsons motorcycle parts all the time and use them to restore my WWII WLA Harley Army motorcycle.

Do I feel bad about it? yes in some ways but in order to get my WWII HOG back to life into WWII condition this is a must for me.

In ways your dam if you do dam if you don't! I'm just glad some kid didn't get his hands on the belt and go swimming with it? It's still mint just out of the box to me.

There is an old saying, a book unopened is just a block of paper. How that applies here, I don't know. I probably would have opened it too. I'd do it carefully and be sure to document how it was packed just as you have done. Thanks for sharing.

Mikie