"Sterling" CB Jump Wings WW2?

Wedgehead30

This little guy is a recent acquisition. It has Sterling clutches like those from a CIB and approximately 5/16" pins. It is simply marked "STERLING" in raised letters and does test positive as sterling silver.

Would these be late WW2 - early post war vintage wings? Before the alphanumeric system was introduced in 1953.

Are the sterling clutches correct or is there a CIB missing it's clutches somewhere?

Can the manufacturer by determined by the design?

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

post-124172-0-41241800-1476894321_thumb.jpg

As a general rule of thumb, pin back jump wings were used in WWII and (because of the huge stock pile of insignia left after the war) up to the Korean war. Clutch back wings (as a general rule of thumb) are probably post KW. I'm sure there may be some overlap with clutch back and pin back wings, of course.

Your wing also appears to have had the clutches attached using an electrosolder technique, which is (as a general rule of thumb) something that was done later in the 1950's.

If I had to guess, you wing is post-KW up to VN era, but it is still a nice example. I suspect you really can't date it to more than rather broad time periods.

It is unlikely you can attribute it to a specific maker.

Patrick

As a general rule of thumb, pin back jump wings were used in WWII and (because of the huge stock pile of insignia left after the war) up to the Korean war. Clutch back wings (as a general rule of thumb) are probably post KW. I'm sure there may be some overlap with clutch back and pin back wings, of course.

Your wing also appears to have had the clutches attached using an electrosolder technique, which is (as a general rule of thumb) something that was done later in the 1950's.

If I had to guess, you wing is post-KW up to VN era, but it is still a nice example. I suspect you really can't date it to more than rather broad time periods.

It is unlikely you can attribute it to a specific maker.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. That is very enlightening and most helpful.

Scott