Patch blankets, what to do?

skir

This past weekend, picked up 3 patch blankets with about 300 patches that have been glued to the blankets. The blankets were a boy scout project from the 60s. Patches range from WWI thru Vietnam. My question is to leave them on the blankets,which has creased and folded some of the patches, try to remove from the wool blankets and remove the glue, or just trim the patches off leaving them glued to the wool backing to lay them flat? The 2 od green blankets are from the 60s with holes, the 3rd is a 1944 dated medical blanket with some great early Fighter/Bomber sqdn patches. Any thoughts? My inclination is to just cut around the patches leaving them glued to wool backing but would like others opinions.

Thanks,

Rick

Cut around the patches and let the new buyer decide what to do. Collectors love greenbacks so I would peek to see if you have any to sell as such. I have actually ruined some patches by removing them.

Before you cut them up can you please email a photo of them? I add patch blanket photos to my website.

warcollect1942

I would remove the one that is loose, to find out kind of glue was used.

Water base or something more difficult, If you try soap or solvent check the soap or solvent

with a black light first. I find the glue that is hard translucent white is the worst.

Good luck

I'd favor removing them too, IF it could be done without damaging the patches, which in turn can be established as mentioned above by testing what kind of glue is involved (also, it is not 100% a certainty that the same kind of glue was used for all patches, btw).

The suggestion of carefully cutting around each patch leaving the wool attached is a good one too, if the glue is a serious problem.

If you decide too remove them, remove a no value 3rd Army or the like for the test to see how it comes off.......Then you can decide what to do with the rest, cut around them or try to remove them. My Two cents worth.

world war I nerd

Keep in mind that depending on when and by whom the patches were attached to the blankets, different adhesives may have been used at different times.

For the sake of the patches and your investment, don't assume that the patches were all glued on with the same adhesive based on just one sample patch.

Here are some quick (bad) photos of the blankets. On request of a board member, I am going to take much better photos. If interested I will post the better pics here .

post-10493-0-45973400-1477087969_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-81783300-1477087980_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-70432600-1477087995_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-49792800-1477088009_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-32625700-1477088028_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-02685900-1477088049_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-00571900-1477088064_thumb.jpg

The patch with Hawk and pitch fork is an old obsolete Iowa Air National Guard Fighter Sqdn.

Yes it is, the 124th FIS/TFS. To the left is a 48th FBW/TFW. Neither are rare, but they are desirable. Be careful removing that 48th, as they are German made and more delicate than most.

Randy

Considering the order of placement, the individual(s) that put these together had a very good idea of what they were doing. Some very nice pieces are shown. You did well. Jack