Help ID Navy Gray Working Uniform

David Minton

I took a chance on US Navy Gray Working Uniform on eBay yesterday. It was identified as a WWII Nurse uniform, though I suspect it is post WWII through Korean War since it isn't in my WWII reference book, and I believe the label is from the last 1940s.

It is gray seersucker, similar to Navy WAVES Gray Working Uniform, but with a different cut (front button vs. side zipper). It came with a matching nurse's cap, so I am inclined to believe it is a nurse's uniform, I'm just unsure of the period of use.

From the auction photos, it seems to be in good condition, which I have found unusual for working uniforms of the period. Is is also a size 16 (equivalent to a modern size 6) which is less common (most seem to be 8-12).

If you know what it is, when and where was it worn? Was it worn with collar brass, and if so, what type? If WWII I believe it would have been worn with a miniature rank on the right collar, and the later Navy Nurse Corps (without the NNC) on the left collar.

post-132988-0-36731600-1476825808_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

I have the same style but in a pair of buckle back trousers for women. When it is used and washed it turns a blue color. Same tag. I thought it was late 40's-early 50's.

WWII Legacy Girl

Hi,

This is a post-WWII women's Navy uniform - probably from the Korean War. After WWII, the Navy integrated all women (nurses and WAVES) into the official navy, so there were no longer "Navy Nurses" and "WAVES."

You know an item is WWII WAVES if the tag ways "WAVES" on it. If it is Naval Women's Reserve or Naval Clothing Department, it is post-WWII.

I am not sure on the insignia, I will try to find out.

"Dressed for Duty" Vol 1 shows a similar dress and cap on page 453. Says that it was introduced in 1947. The photo shown is of a Navy Ensign in 1955. It does not say when the uniform was discontinued.

"Dressed for Duty" Vol 1 shows a similar dress and cap on page 453.  Says that it was introduced in 1947.  The photo shown is of a Navy Ensign in 1955.  It does not say when the uniform was discontinued.

Thank you for your input. Does the photographed uniform have the belt and white buttons? I have seen photos of the post war dresses and they all had black or gray plastic Navy buttons and lacked the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does have a belt. "A matching belt was worn at the waist and fastened on each side by a gray 35 line eagle button." 7 of the same buttons held in place by rings or toggles were on the dress.

You white buttons may have been put on it for civilian wear after leaving the service.