Original WW2 Ribbons

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Im trying to get the right ribbons for my uniform.

Id like to get your opinions on this set of ribbons?

Are they WW2?And what is the plasticy type of coating for?

Thanks Guys

post-3581-1222578316.jpg

post-3581-1222578321.jpg

Im trying to get the right ribbons for my uniform.

Id like to get your opinions on this set of ribbons?

Are they WW2?And what is the plasticy type of coating for?

Thanks Guys

Left to right: DFC Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal w/three oak leaf clusters (denoting 4 awards) and Army Good Conduct Medal.

Captainofthe7th

The ribbons are original but I don't believe the bar they are mounted on it period. I can see a pimple on the clutches.

Wolf brown made these plastic coated ribbons from WWII into Korea, and each ribbon is marked "wolf Brown" and the bar they were mounted on will usually be an aluminum clutchback bar that says WB on it. The clutches will also have a smooth face without pimples.

These are my favorite kind of ribbons, they look SO sharp.

Rob

I've never put too much stock into what kind of clutches came with a ribbon bar. Old clutches wear out, fall off, or just get replaced for some unknown reason. I've seen modern ribbon bars with WWII era smooth face clutches.

In answer to one of the original questions: the plastic ribbons were supposed to be tougher than the cloth kind. If they got dirty, they would be wiped clean with a damp cloth. They also did not fray like the cloth ribbons did, so they would look good and not have to be replaced as often.

FightenIrish35
I've never put too much stock into what kind of clutches came with a ribbon bar. Old clutches wear out, fall off, or just get replaced for some unknown reason. I've seen modern ribbon bars with WWII era smooth face clutches.

In answer to one of the original questions: the plastic ribbons were supposed to be tougher than the cloth kind. If they got dirty, they would be wiped clean with a damp cloth. They also did not fray like the cloth ribbons did, so they would look good and not have to be replaced as often.

Thanks Lee and everybody for the information. Im just trying to do this right and get the right ones unfortunatly i didnt get those ribbons but I did get those plastic coating style of the ETO,GOOD CONDUCT, AND AMERICAN DEFENSE. I now have to find the exact same style of the Distguinshed Flying Cross and Air Medal Ribbon.

So my sarch for those now begins.lol.I shouldve stuck with the basic kind because I notice these style are more expensive and harder to find. ermm.gif