White 4th Cav / Constabulary

WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches

This belonged to a member of the 4th Constabulary killed in Austria in 1946. Both patches were in his personnel items sent home. Anyone know why one is white?

post-119983-0-78052600-1476714387.jpg

Constab troopers were killed in traffic collisions, raids, fights with arrestees, accidental discharges, etc.

No clue as to why the 4th Cav is white; a white Constab patch exists, too.

It's faded out - can you post the backside.Killed in 1946 ? war ended 1945.

WorldWarPatches

it is not faded, a family member contacted me about it. Here is the thread.> the last part is the 1st contact.

Hi,

Could you post this with the patch.

That would be odd as that was part of his effects when they were shipped home. He had been killed in Austria in 1946 along with another soldier who was decapitated in the jeep they were in. As the letters (proficient writer to his mother every three days ) constantly tell about arresting SS and Hitler Youth hiding out and the black-marketing. Letters give a lot of info on the "post war" front.

TC

Your previous message
I have posted an inquiry about the white patch on US Militaria Forum. The link is below. I do not get on very offten so you can check it to see if anyone replys.If someone does I'll be glad to let you know if their opinion is worth listening to.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/277062-white-4th-cav-constabulary/

tcboerii:
Here are the photos.
At least I know the white felt is original. being in the duffle bag all the years after it was sent home I am surprised there are just a few moth nips. I have wondered if it was the intention of being made white after the units transformation to the 4th Constabulary which as I mentioned before I have the 4th Cavalry/Constabulary unit paper from "Parade Day" he had sent home from that day.
TC

Your previous message
It must be theater made and the maker did not have any yellow. If it was not used that would be my guess, for if he had it made and never used it because he knew the color would not fly with the commanders.

tcboerii:
Hi,
That would be odd as that was part of his effects when they were shipped home. He had been killed in Austria in 1946 along with another soldier who was decapitated in the jeep they were in. As the letters (proficient writer to his mother every three days ) constantly tell about arresting SS and Hitler Youth hiding out and the black-marketing. Will take a picture and send you.
TC

Your previous message
Hello TC,
I honestly do not know, I have never seen one. My best guess would be it was a sample piece that was not approved.
Pat

tcboerii:
Hi,

I may have contacted you before. My uncle was in this unit. Have lots of letters with the crest and the unit news paper (parade day) when they changed to the 4th Constabulary. In his duffle bag I found his patch but it is on white felt (never faded as the red and blue are still crisp in color) any ideas why white felt?

Thank You
TC

WorldWarPatches

It's faded out - can you post the backside.Killed in 1946 ? war ended 1945.

We occupied many area's for many years.

When I read about Constab troopers being decapitated in a jeep, their deaths were most likely due to Russian activities. Contacts between all US Army personnel, including Constab troopers, were never entirely or uniformly good to begin with. In addition to running decapitation wires, Russians set up guy wires that woul ensnare jeeps, pulling them from the road and into mines. There were ambushes of Constab patrols. Officially, Constab troopers were forbidden to engage in similar actions, but in my many interviews, let's just say not every trooper adhered.

It is also true that several Constabulary Troopers were killed from members of post war German resistance groups. Ones who felt that Nazi Germany should rise again. As many also know there is a white version of the constabulary patch as well. I have never been able to figure out why but no evidence they were ever worn. The white versions I have and have seen are the same material as the white 4th cav. patch.

vintageproductions

I've had a few of these white / pale yellow versions. I always thought it was just a different variation from a different shop.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a "white" variation on an Ike worn on the right shoulder,on the left shoulder is the 16th constabulary patch and tab . The Ike is unnamed but came to me from a vendor that turned up a lot of stuff belonging to a Horse Platoon trooper (last name Brook). The patch is definitely white . The 16th Squadron did wear the 4th Cavalry DI's but i cannot think of any reason for a white patch. The DI's on the same Ike are white metal so maybe there was confusion from a local source?

Just throwing ideas around with nothing concrete to back it up.

This thread will take you to pictures of the trooper but the Ike he is wearing is yet to be badged on the right shoulder.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/256296-16th-constabulary-horse-platoon-1948-1949/