Korean war era flight jacket Help

Fein1

Hello,

I recently acquired this super salty USN flight jacket identified to Cogswell. It has his 81st Fight'n SQ patch and a shoulder patch with a stylized jet. Does anyone know what this patch is?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

post-162943-0-40244200-1476562423.jpg

Johnny Signor

Both patches are USAF type , the Fighti'n 81st Squadron is for the 4781st Combat Crew Training Squadron, in the Jerome Polder book, Vol 6 page 59

Johnny

Thank you all for the info. This is far from where I have any knowledge.

I assumed it was USN since there were 2 navy leather jackets as well.

northcoastaero

Take a look inside the front right pocket for a spec tag sewn into the lining. The tag will contain the

jacket type, contract date, etc.

On to the next question. Would you guys remove the patches from the coat, or keep it together. It seems that the jacket has little to no value as trashed as it is?

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

jacket can be restored, if the patches are original to the jacket, I would keep them...nylon flight jackets are only rising in value...even a trashed L-2B with period patches is worth saving...

This is an early version of the L-2B the Mil-j-7448D...D being the 5th version of the jacket...early 60s

northcoastaero

I agree. Keep the jacket as is or have it restored. I had a MA-1 jacket with the blue F-102/f-106 triangle patch, blue/white name

tag, blue/white U.S. Air Force name tag, and blue/white USAF aircrew wing tag. Don't remember the unit patch though. 1960s era.

For sure a USAF F-102 patch. The 4781st CCTS trained new F-102 pilots at Perrin AFB, Texas, until 1971 or so. You have the older version of the patch. It was replaced by the one shown below.

post-8832-0-98854600-1477331159.jpg