Common Civil Defense Helmet?

doyler

Cool helmet Ron,

Air raid warden

Them Chaplain's were ready to give the hail marys and fight the Japs or Germans if they were going to invade. Cool stuff!

The individual may have been an air raid warden and a Chaplain or an auxiliary Chaplain like police and fire departments..

It is an odd combination.. Would like to see what information may come up about this..

Leigh

The individual may have been an air raid warden and a Chaplain or an auxiliary Chaplain like police and fire departments..

It is an odd combination.. Would like to see what information may come up about this..

Leigh

The area church I attended always had fall out shelter signs on it when I was a boy.Wonder if back when this helmet was used if the same applied and a minister would be the Warden for the area or his church?

Ive seen quite a few CD helmets with the WW1 style low dome like this one, but never saw one with the chaplain's insignia.

Great picture Bolo.That helmet looks like a painted M1917?Seems to have a sand finnish under the white?

The 1917 type helmet isnt so uncommon just thought the markings were uncommon on this one.

Found this at a "Barn Sale" which is a common thing now here.The people were selling antiques and rusty junque from a barn on their acreage.

Great picture Bolo.That helmet looks like a painted M1917?Seems to have a sand finnish under the white?

The 1917 type helmet isnt so uncommon just thought the markings were uncommon on this one.

Found this at a "Barn Sale" which is a common thing now here.The people were selling antiques and rusty junque from a barn on their acreage.

yes Doyler, I remember looking at the helmet and noticed it was a US M1917 with a copper rivet and original liner, and noticed it still had the original rough textured finish under the white paint

old WW1 surplus used reused during WW2 for Civil Defense

The area church I attended always had fall out shelter signs on it when I was a boy.Wonder if back when this helmet was used if the same applied and a minister would be the Warden for the area or his church?

Ron,

That very well may be. Chaplains, Priests, ministers are all considered leaders of their congregations so it would make sense that the Chaplain may also be the Warden for the area around the vicinity of his church...

Leigh

Ron,

That very well may be. Chaplains, Priests, ministers are all considered leaders of their congregations so it would make sense that the Chaplain may also be the Warden for the area around the vicinity of his church...

Leigh

Very possibe

Thanks Leigh