The End of the Army-Surplus Store

bobgee

easterneagle87

Here is one that is still located on East Sprague in Spokane, WA. Went there lots of times as a kid, but didn't know what I was looking at or for, other than it was full of "Army stuff". My grandpa had a hardware store for awhile and he'd go there to get stuff for his store. I don't think it's what it used to be, but it is a good memory.    

Surplus Spok.jpg

• 4 months later...

My local surplus store…32 years ago I remember modern reproduction fatigues patches pins etc. now ONLY carharts. 

a few weeks ago the wife and I were on a car trip stumbled upon a classic surplus store. Romans surplus in chambers burg PA. Highly recommended. Lots of medals original uniforms etc. picked up some ww2 medals and a WWII AAF bomber devision class A patches stripes and all. Very reasonable. 

I grew up in Long Beach, Ca. and often went to Long Beach War Surplus. I recall there were at least two locations. In the SF Valley, I think there were three Western Surplus stores (although the one I actually visited was on Lankershim Blvd.). Used to buy camping utensils made by PALCO and each of my friends all had a machete of their choice "DUMAS",  "El Luchador" or maybe Colonial...

22 minutes ago, pwcosol said:

I grew up in Long Beach, Ca. and often went to Long Beach War Surplus. I recall there were at least two locations. In the SF Valley, I think there were three Western Surplus stores (although the one I actually visited was on Lankershim Blvd.). Used to buy camping utensils made by PALCO and each of my friends all had a machete of their choice "DUMAS",  "El Luchador" or maybe Colonial...

There's still one, sort of, on Venice Blvd in Culver City area 

Unknown-1.jpeg

Think I may have visited that store one upon a time in the late 1970s as I used to check out Martin B. Retting's shop on Washington Blvd. when the opportunity arose. Also, though it is now gone, the Western Surplus store in Hawthorne gained notoriety in August of 1971 when the Family Manson decided to rob it...

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/08/23/archives/a-gun-battle-with-police-ends-weapons-raid-on-coast-store.html

I use to go to gun shows searching for surplus / militaria , but now they dont have any shows like that , it's all common stuff , beef jerky vendors , eye glass cleaners , over priced guns and ammo, plus some places have banned gun shows.

I remember that, as a boy, visiting an army surplus store in Tucson, Arizona.  One of the things that sticks out in my mind to this day is seeing several 55 gallon drums filled to the top with patches, available at 10 cents each.  Ah, if only I knew then what I know now

• 2 years later...
kfields

Dailey's Army Surplus in Chesterville, Ohio. No idea when it closed but had never been there either. Found this old thermometer with their advertising on it in a local flea market and had to have it .

IMG_20240417_091305094~2.jpg

manayunkman

I’ve never used surplus stores as a source but I’ve been in a few.

268th C.A.

most have little real surplus as we know it. 90% Rothco junk. It's still fun to look... Junk boxes at the shows turn up more goodies. 

aerialbridge

SUPPLY SERGEANT IS NOT CLOSING.

I just spoke to a man at Supply Sarge in beautiful downtown Burbank.  I told him I'd heard a rumor they are closing.   He replied,  "NO, WE ARE NOT CLOSING AND HAVE NO PLANS TO".   I told him I was relieved to hear that in this "Great Economy" they were not closing and he laughed and said, "Yeah, right".

So  SUPPLY SERGEANT is STAYING open for business and hoping for better days like many of us.  

kammo-man

Did you ask why they sold the military vehicles that had been on display for decades and that the shelf’s have not been restocked in months?

268th C.A.

Here's the one I grew up with M&G Surplus Norfolk, Virgina. Mike & George two old salts WW2 Vets, gone but not forgotten. I'd get a dollar to get my hair cut across the street at the barber college, .75 cents and the quarter to spend at the surplus store. There still in business by family, but nothing like this anymore. Mostly "Rothco" not much real stuff left. Still the nostalgia to visit.  

IMG_7142.JPG

aerialbridge

Nope, but I can.  At your request I called again and the gentleman told me the Vehicles were sold since owner was advised to stop renting a storage unit and clearing out was an option.   The vehicles did not have any attachment to them.   The man did say as you heard, that the owner had been considering closing awhile back but they have absolutely decided NOT TO CLOSE and are restocking their inventory.    People are encourage to stop by and patronize their business which is NOT GIVING UP at this point.    503 N Victory Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5:30 PM
Phone: (818) 845-9433