The End of the Army-Surplus Store

bobgee

What a great thread, and a subject worth resurrecting! 😁

I used to travel a lot for work, and would do my homework to see if there were any good surplus stores where I was going in case I had some spare time.  As such, I’ve compiled quite a list of places worth the time and effort to get to.   M&G Surplus in Norfolk, VA; AM Surplus in Bellevue, NE (near Offutt), U.S. Surplus and G.I. Jose Militaria Surplus in Colorado Springs, the Quonset Hut in Austin, TX; Military & More in Enkenbach-Alsenborn, Germany (about 20 minutes from Ramstein AB), the US Store Böblingen near Panzer Barracks in Stuttgart, and my local favorite, Armed Forces Supply in Converse, TX (near Randolph AFB). 

I have found great items at all of these locations, and thoroughly enjoyed just searching through them for possible gems.  What I love more is that each are run by enthusiasts who share our love of history. 

True, eBay, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace are lucrative sources, and I’ve done well using all of them.

It’s also true that most stores will only give you pennies on the dollar for most common items; but c’mon, take a look around and see how many ACU, ABU and other uniforms they already have in stock!  Unless you have something special, why makes yours so deserving of top dollar?  Also, in case you haven’t watch an episode of ‘Pawn Stars,’ these places are businesses that have overhead costs and are trying to make a profit, so even though your items may have value they can’t buy them for what they’ll sell them for! As mentioned, if you want top dollar for something, get rid of the middleman and sell it yourself!

But I am happy to report there are still some “old school” surplus stores around.  Even some that have evolved into selling commercial items may have the occasional gems as I recently found with a jumpmaster checklist I picked up locally at a store that mostly sells Carhart and other such items.

And don’t forget charity and secondhand shops.  I discovered on about a half hour away from me that has been the source of many items in my collection at great prices.  They only have a small corner dedicated to military items, but the owner is also a collector and is liquidating some of his things. 

Lastly, I have to put in a word on supporting local businesses.  As mentioned, Armed Forces Supply in Converse, TX is one of my favorites if not #1 on that list.  I have been a customer for years and know the owner well.  David has been kind enough to find items for me and even offer me good deals as he knows how much money I’ve spent there.   I am not unique in that case either, he and his staff work hard to take great care of all customers.  During COVID, they’ve adapted their business model to live videos and online sales while other stores had to close their doors.  They also recently expanded their store even further so they could get more items out of their warehouse to the showroom floor.  While many small businesses, and especially military surplus stores, are suffering; they are thriving.  They also haven’t raise their prices on high demand items through the roof, AFS is still offering great deals on items such as cases of MREs at the best prices around.  They even have a MRE "commissary!" To me those are the things that make them one of the best surplus stores in the nation!

Cheers!  Mike

AFS.jpg

On 2/17/2017 at 5:45 PM, 'Flage Guy said:

Tred, would those be the old stores on Reseda Blvd and Supply Sergeant on Van Nuys??

Yes and I can't remember the other one on Van Nuys.  

TheCrustyBosun

Colonel Bubbie’s Strand Surplus in Galveston, Texas was my favorite store and the best I’ve ever seen. It was housed on the first floor of a 3 story brick building and was STUFFED from floor to ceiling.  You had to spend some real time in there looking and you had to be thorough or else you’d miss a lot.  My parents made the mistake of taking me there one summer when I was a kid and I never quit pestering them to go back whenever we were in town.  When I turned 16 and got my driver’s license, I got in my car and made a beeline to the Colonel’s. It’s gone now, sadly. 

My hometown store and first experience with surplus stores was GI Surplus at 5720 College St in Beaumont, TX. It’s still open and has not changed much, if at all. Most of my Civil Air Patrol uniforms, both BDU and dress blues, were purchased there as well as my field gear for ground teams. 

1 hour ago, kammo-man said:

873d270e36ee1c4984ac1d7982dc7331.jpg
And here is the famous Sunset Blvd army surplus store today 12 14 2020.

The way of the dodo

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, Owen . . . that's tragic! Reminds me of a lot of wonderful book stores that were around when we were younger and now are not there anymore. So sad. 

1 hour ago, stratasfan said:

Oh, Owen . . . that's tragic! Reminds me of a lot of wonderful book stores that were around when we were younger and now are not there anymore. So sad. 

Oh, please don't get me thinking about all the wonderful old bookstores there used to be around San Jose.  At least Recycle Bookstore is still around and about the last of it's kind around here.  

Mikie

26 minutes ago, mikie said:

Oh, please don't get me thinking about all the wonderful old bookstores there used to be around San Jose.  At least Recycle Bookstore is still around and about the last of it's kind around here.  

Mikie

Oh, if there was an old bookstore thread . . . I'd need some Russian violins in the background. :) Bookstores - sigh!

The Recycle Bookstore is a nice walk from home.  It has a fairly large Military section that I've been known to find some great additions to my History library.  Not quite a surplus store, but have gotten some old field manuals there, so it kind of counts.  I could and often do spend a few hours browsing there.  One of the last of it's kind here. 

Mikie 

Recycle Books 2.jpg

Recycle Books 3.jpg

25 minutes ago, mikie said:

The Recycle Bookstore is a nice walk from home.  It has a fairly large Military section that I've been known to find some great additions to my History library.  Not quite a surplus store, but have gotten some old field manuals there, so it kind of counts.  I could and often do spend a few hours browsing there.  One of the last of it's kind here. 

Mikie 

Recycle Books 2.jpg

Recycle Books 3.jpg

Wow! I wish it were closer! I'd love to spend some time in there! Besides . . . might find a couple of books on my long-looked-for list! :) 

Here are some pictures of our back room upstairs (from a few years ago, as this is where Dad is working right now, so we had to add a small desk):

back room with books2.JPG

I'm really surprised I never posted these photos in this thread. This was a "military antiques" store in Portsmouth, UK that I visited back in 2009. Don't know if it's still around, but I was blown away while I was there...

DSC01617.JPG

DSC01618.JPG

DSC01619.JPG

DSC01620.JPG

DSC01621.JPG

DSC01622.JPG

DSC01623.JPG

DSC01624.JPG

DSC01625.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to an old Italian gentleman some time back.  His father owned a surplus store in Northern California during the post WW2 era.  He would help his father run the store and they would take trips out to the Presidio in San Francisco to pick up material to sell from the military warehouses there.  Oddly enough many of their trips would be in the middle of the night.  He asked his father why they made so many trips there at night.  His father answered.  "During the day the men there are soldiers.  At night they are businessmen"

US Military Guy
On 12/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, majormadmax said:

What a great thread, and a subject worth resurrecting! 😁

I used to travel a lot for work, and would do my homework to see if there were any good surplus stores where I was going in case I had some spare time.  As such, I’ve compiled quite a list of places worth the time and effort to get to.   M&G Surplus in Norfolk, VA; AM Surplus in Bellevue, NE (near Offutt) . . .

I sent Andy an email earlier this Summer advising him about an event I was hosting.

He told me he had closed the store.

Yes, I was sad.

21 minutes ago, US Military Guy said:

I sent Andy an email earlier this Summer advising him about an event I was hosting.

He told me he had closed the store.

Yes, I was sad.

Darn!  Confirmed on their website (https://amsurplus.com/)...

"We closed our retail store on June 30th 2020 and are currently working out of our warehouse."

US Military Guy

We were on the road on vacation when I posted this.  I mentioned to my wife I should probably email Andy and find out how things were going when I got home.

I am home . . . so I should probably do that.

easterneagle87

Kaufman's Army Surplus, Sampson, Alabama

Still open, still awesome! Was there 5 years ago and hit it again while visiting while on Christmas holiday! If they let you dig, it's worth the drive. Lots of modern stuff. Lots of odds and ends.   

kaufmans.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2016 at 4:39 PM, Teamski said:

Good article, but the author missed another big change in surplus: demand. Today, most people don't want dented canteens. For depression era folks and their kids, pup tents and mess kits were things that could be used to go camping or any other outdoor activity. Army Navy stores were the go-to place for cheap equipment. Today, people want new stuff, and they will most likely go to Walmart to get cheap camping supplies and tents. One quote from an Army Navy store owner always sticks with me: Army Navy stores can no longer survive on selling dented canteens. It isn't about availability rather than demand. People don't do outdoor stuff anymore like they used to.

The key to survivability of a surplus store is diversity. The Army Navy store I deal with has state contracts to keep it afloat. They also sell Boy Scout supplies and do engraving.

-Ski

Luckily by me there is a surplus store still selling stuff from the 40's and 50's that no one wants which means more for me. This is a genuine surplus store i don't recall seeing tactical stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I Goldberg's use to peddle WWI surplus in the 1920 (despite this story claiming WW2). Ira's brother got in trouble with the NYC Cops, who came down in 1924/25 to ask him why he was selling Thompson 1921 submachineguns with the serial numbers ground off that were winding in at crime scenes in the five boroughs. 

Guess the last generation didn't know or didn't want anyone else to know the seamier side of their business.

Philly's I Goldberg Army & Navy surplus store to close after 100 years in business | PhillyVoice

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philadelphia-i-goldberg-army-navy-surplus-store-close-100-years-business-1919-chestnut-street/

W. Stokes. Kirk in Philadelphia did the same thing - 

https://archive.org/details/hhbooker2_yahoo_001_201802

spacer.png